Q. How long can I use Yasmin pills safely for my prolonged heavy bleeding?

Dr. Monica Mathur

I am 41 years old. Last year I had erratic periods with prolonged heavy bleeding in some cycles. I had stopped breastfeeding my 2.5-year-old around that time. My thyroid and prolactin levels were normal. Doctor prescribed Yasmin pills for three months and asked to get a USG after that. I took those pills for two months. I felt good and even lost some weight. Since it was prescribed for three months, I stopped after three months. Now I am getting normal periods not heavy but are being delayed by about 15 to 20 days in each cycle. Somehow I cannot get a USG done since I am out of town. Can I continue to take Yasmin for another two months? Since my period dates are still unpredictable, is it safe and advisable? Today is the first day of my cycle. I am attaching my old ultrasound before starting the pill in July. Please help.

#

As your periods have become normal, so the main purpose of you taking Yasmin has been resolved. The problem now is that your periods are now unpredictable by 15 to 20 days. You have not mentioned the contraceptive methods that you are using after your delivery. If not, yes, you can take Yasmin in the same method for three months, and then you can stop it. As you are not breastfeeding your baby, this drug also gives you additional protection from contraception.

I am using condoms for contraception. What could be the cause of delayed cycles? Could it be perimenopause?

#

Hormonal contraception may lead to hormonal level changes, but even perimenopause can lead to delayed periods.

|