Q. I had a sudden bout of prolonged period for 16 days this month. Kindly help.

Dr. Reetika Joshi

I have had a regular cycle for years, but this month my period started a week early and has lasted longer (currently on day 16 of bleeding with no signs of stopping). I thought it was just because of stress, but I do not feel it should last this long. What should I do? I have been taking iron pills a couple of times a week. I have not been to the doctor yet.

#

I fully understand your concern and will surely help you. Since you do not have any history of a similar problem, I am concerned about your problem.

Since when are you taking iron pills? When did you start, and what is the dosage? Are you sexually active? Do you take any other medications? Are there any signs like acne, thinning of scalp and hair, or weight loss/gain in the recent past? Please share the above details so that I can help you better.

The iron pills are 65 mg, and I started taking them a couple of times a week when my cycle kept going. I am not sexually active and on no medications. I take OTC vitamins only. I noticed thinning of hair six months ago and no weight gain or loss.

#

It may be because of some hormonal imbalance.

To stop bleeding, take tablet Trapic MF 500 mg twice daily for five days, tablet Primolut N 5 mg twice daily for 15 days.

Do not stop Primolut N in between because it is a hormonal pill, and you will bleed if there is erratic intake. If a similar episode happens again, get USG pelvis, thyroid, and Prolactin done.

|