Q. My father was diagnosed with prostatic adenocarcinoma. What should we do?

Dr. Bharat Patodiya

My father is diagnosed with prostatic adenocarcinoma. His biopsy reports show Gleason's grade 3+4 (% of 4 is 30%), tumor involves 60 % of submitted biopsy. No perineural invasion is seen. His PSA level is 107.69 ng/mL. He has triple vessel heart disease, and the echo result showed EP 60 %. He is 85 years old with very well brain function and fully conscious. What treatments should we go with at this stage?

#

• You can get a staging workup with PSMA (prostate-specific membrane antigen) scan or bone scan and MRI pelvis. His high PSA (prostate-specific antigen) does make him high risk, but considering his age, I will not suggest a very aggressive approach to the case.
  • If the prostate cancer is metastatic, then I will suggest only hormonal manipulation, that is, medical or surgical management and local therapy based on the organ involved.
  • If it is a localized disease, then EBRT (external beam radiation therapy) can be given if the general condition permits along with hormone manipulation depending on his general condition.

It will be difficult to commit to one plan, as I have not seen in person. Good luck.

For more information consult a medical oncologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-oncologist

|