Q. Small patch of psoriasis in ankle has flareups with joint pain and stiffness. Is this psoriatic arthritis?

This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 06, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 19, 2021

I have had a small patch of psoriasis on my ankle on and off for 10 years. I have also had flare-ups debilitating fatigue and joint pain for 10 years. I have been checked for Lupus, RA, MS and have received negative diagnosis. I just today learned about psoriatic arthritis and I am wondering if that could be my problem. My lower back hurts so bad in bed that it wakes me to turn over. My right hip and shoulder also hurt. During a flare-up all of my joints on the right side hurt plus my left knee and left thumb also hurts. Is this how psoriatic arthritis acts?

I am currently on Ibuprofen. I also underwent ANA, RA factor, anti-dsDNA, MRI, and TSH.

#

Your symptoms include swelling of joint as well as morning stiffness and it looks associated with psoriatic arthritis. I would rather say it is seronegative rheumatoid arthritis associated with psoriasis also known as mixed connective tissue disorder (MCTD).

Now I would recommend the following tests for you:

1. Anti-CCP antibody.

2. ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate).

3. CRP (C-reactive protein).

If done, share the reports. I would also like to know what treatment you have been on? And which medicines give you relief?

Revert with the asked details for better help.

The only medication I have ever been giving for the pain has been Prednisone and it did help some. I cannot remember the names of the steroid creams I was given for psoriasis, they sometimes helped with itching but never made a difference in the actual patch of psoriasis. I did have an ESR and it was not elevated. I was not having a flare-up during that time. I am not sure if that made a difference.

#

Your history and response to Prednisolone make me suspect highly that you have seronegative rheumatoid arthritis. Now get the above-discussed tests done and discuss with your doctor to start you on Methotrexate and a low dose steroid.

|