Q. My aunt doubts that all the girls are trying to come closer with her husband. Kindly advice.

Published on Jun 15, 2019

I want to share my aunt case and seek advice regarding this case. My aunt is about 54 years old, and her husband is around 63 years old.After the death of my aunt's father, a behavioral change occurred in my aunt. She started to blame her husband and try to make her husband stay away from all young girls.

She got extra possessive about her husband. She blamed three to four girls and stopped them to come close to her husband even she blamed her daughter in law to stay away from her husband. We do not know why she is doing this? She always thinks that all girls and aunties trying to get interact and come close to her husband. Please advice.

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology
#

She should consult a psychiatrist. The symptoms like possessiveness, ideas, or even delusional beliefs about the fidelity of husband, blaming husband, etc. cannot be ignored. She might be suffering from some mood disorder most likely depression with psychotic symptoms. This could be some psychosis too. Individuals with psychosis show paranoid delusions, delusional beliefs, and become suspicious. Considering her age and late onset, the chances of depression with psychosis are more.

She might refuse to visit a psychiatrist and will try to evade the visit. Drugs like Olanzapine or Quetiapine can be used to reduce her psychotic symptoms, and she will come out of depression.

| 

Psychotic Disorders: Types and Recovery

Article Overview: Psychosis is a symptom associated with many different mental illnesses and accordingly, there are subtle variations which are classified as the types of psychotic disorders. This article gives a concise summary of each type and a note on recovery. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S
Psychologist Counsellor

Psychosis is not a disease in itself, but a symptom that accompanies various mental health conditions. The primary symptoms of psychosis include hallucinations (perceiving stimuli that do not exist) and delusions (strong yet false beliefs about oneself or one's life). Based on the differences in dur...  Read Article

How to overcome the fear of my boyfriend cheating on me again?

Query: Hello doctor, My boyfriend cheated on me several times when we were dating, and I had no idea about it. But, we patched things up and got engaged. I love and have feelings for him. I keep worrying that he is going to cheat on me again. He is not cheating on me now, but I still have a weird possessiv...  Read Full »

How to handle a possessive spouse?

Query: Hello doctor, I am newly married. My husband is 26 years old and I am six months younger to him. My family members say that my husband is over-possessive and controlling. How can I know if my husband is over-possessive and controlling?  Read Full »