Q. How can psychotic symptoms be managed?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

My fiance began exhibiting psychotic symptoms nine days ago. He is 38 years old. He has no prior psych history or hospitalization. He is diagnosed with mild depression NOS. He takes Lexapro, Wellbutrin, and Suboxone. We know that this episode is not substance induced. He is currently hospitalized in a psych facility and we still have no diagnosis.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

Psychotic symptoms can be precipitated by different causes like intense stress, affective disorder, psychotic disorder, use of illicit substances, sometimes due to organic problems in the brain (like epilepsy, lesion, inflammation, etc.). In a way it is good to know that your fiance is safe in a hospital where assessment and diagnostic work-up can be completed. You reported that it is not substance induced. Mental health professionals will need to observe him and complete the assessment to clarify the etiology of the psychotic symptoms. It can take some time to arrive at a definitive diagnosis but they may have a provisional working diagnosis. Kindly discuss with your treating team for more clarity.

|