HomeAnswersPsychiatryschizophreniaHow can schizophrenia be treated?

What are the ways to control schizophrenia?

What are the ways to control schizophrenia?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At March 27, 2019
Reviewed AtSeptember 22, 2023

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

My son aged 32 years is suffering from schizophrenia for the last six months and not accepting any treatment and since the last 10 days his symptoms got worsened and became violent and today he tried to get injured and he is suspicious on everybody thinking everyone is talking about him and plotting to harm him and asking us to kill him by giving poison and today he became very violent and after consulting a psychiatrist doctor today we gave him Risdone liquid 2 ml by mixing with fruit juice. Now he is sleeping calmly tonight. Please help us for further treatment.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I can understand your concern. A lot of patients with schizophrenia or other psychotic disorders refuse to take medicines and this becomes difficult to treat. Risperidone liquid is tasteless and odorless and can be given without the knowledge of the patient. But keep one thing in mind he should not become suspicious that he is being given medicine by mixing it with food. Most of the patients come to know about this. You will have to remain alert for this. This should be followed strictly. In the coming days, he will become ready to take medicines on his own. Till then you can give him Risperidone liquid. He is on 2 mg per day and if needed, the dose can be increased to 3 mg per day. The second option in his case if he refuses to take even food or juices from you is long-acting injectables. Long-acting injections of Haloperidol, Fluphenazine, Risperidone, or Paliperidone are available. These have actions for around 15 days and can be given to him if he refuses to take medicines. This can make treatment easy for him. You can discuss this with his doctor for this treatment option. Thank you.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnui
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnui


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:


Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy