Q. What are the ways to control schizophrenia?

Published on Jun 15, 2019

My son aged 32 years is suffering from schizophrenia for the last six months and not accepting any treatment and since the last 10 days his symptoms got worsened and became violent and today he tried to get injured and he is suspicious on everybody thinking everyone is talking about him and plotting to harm him and asking us to kill him by giving poison and today he became very violent and after consulting a psychiatrist doctor today we gave him Risdone liquid 2 ml by mixing with fruit juice. Now he is sleeping calmly tonight. Please help us for further treatment.

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology
#

I can understand your concern. A lot of patients of schizophrenia or other psychotic disorder refuse to take medicines and this becomes difficult in treatment. Risperidone liquid is tasteless and odorless and can be given without knowledge to the patient. But keep one thing in mind that he should not become suspicious that he is being given medicine by mixing with food. Most of the patients come to know about this. You will have to remain alert for this. This should be followed strictly. In coming days he will become ready to take medicines by own. Till then you can give him Risperidone liquid. He is on 2 mg per day and if needed, the dose can be increased to 3 mg per day.

The second option in his case if he refuses to take even food or juices from you is long-acting injectables. Long-acting injections of Haloperidol or Fluphenazine or Risperidone or Paliperidone are available. These have actions for around 15 days and can be given to him if he refuses to take medicines. This can make treatment easy for him. You can discuss with his doctor for this treatment option.

Am I suffering from schizophrenia?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 25 years old. One night, when I tried to go off to sleep, I had racing thoughts that I had no control over. I did not hear any voices, just thoughts. I could not track them or process them. I was really scared as a result. This phenomenon has been happening whenever I try to go off t...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query with keen interest and understand your concerns. First of all, I must assure you that there is no evidence of disease called schizophrenia in your case. Schizophrenia is often presented with different kind of prodromal symptoms and they do not match ...  Read Full

My sleep gets disturbed by dreams and breathlessness. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I have used Sizodon LS in the morning and night for a month under doctor's prescription. After that for the last four months, I am getting disturbed sleep by breathlessness and dreams. It is tough for me to get a sound sleep. My ECG and MRI scan are normal. Please advise me to get healt...  Read Full >>

Dr. Manjunadh M Nair
Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Are you still taking Sizodon (Risperidone)? If not, then do you have any other symptoms other than sleep disturbances? Why have you been prescribed Sizodon in the first place? Assuming that you do not have other symptoms than sleep disturbances, I would suggest y...  Read Full

Is it true that schizophrenia runs in family?

Query: Hi doctor, My boyfriend's father has schizophrenia. What are the odds that my boyfriend or my future child would get the disorder? Is it risky to marry him? Please help. I am confused.  Read Full >>

Dr. Deep Dutta
Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Schizophrenia is a complex psychiatric disorder and sometimes tend to run in families. However, it does not imply it is a monogenic disorder, where the inheritance rate of disease is higher and more easily predictable. Currently, there is no scientific evidence to...  Read Full