HomeAnswersPsychiatrypsychotic disorderWhen my brother drinks, someone else takes control of him and he sounds dangerous. Why?

Why does one behave strangely after chronic alcohol use?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Aneel Kumar

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At May 2, 2023
Reviewed AtMay 2, 2023

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

My brother told me that when he drinks, another person takes control of him. I was scared and advised him to seek assistance, but he became irate and refused to talk to me about it anymore. But the other man, I guess the other personality who spoke to me in spanish and really scared me. I have no idea what to do or how to handle it. I am scared because his sound seems dangerous and talks about doing bad things. I really need help and cannot get any help because I cannot tell anyone else.

Answered by Dr. Aneel Kumar


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Thank you for your query,

It is very difficult to advise anything until we need the proper history of the patient and interview. As per your account which is suggestive of alcohol induced psychotic symptoms as per said that whenever he is drunk, he may be hallucinating that someone is talking to him and delusional that he believes that the existence of the other personality. He needs proper assessment and management. I suggest you to get an expert psychiatric opinion nearby where his psychiatric assessment and physical assessment can be done.

Please follow up for further assistances.

Thank you.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Aneel Kumar
Dr. Aneel Kumar


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy