Q. Can pulmonary interstitial thickening resolve after few days?

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam

I have irregular heart beat with chest pain and my CT (computed tomography) shows mild subpleural fibrosis in lungs. I take tablet Lisinopril 15 mg. I took stress echocardiography, chest X-ray, and vascular ultrasound scan. Please help.

#

From the reports attached (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity), you have mild subpleural fibrosis and interstitial thickening due to the scarring in lungs. The thin pleural membrane can be replaced by thick fibrous tissue due to inflammation of the pleura. Usually, mild subpleural fibrosis resolves completely after resolving inflammation. In some cases, subpleural fibrosis may persist only in a small area of pleura without clinical symptoms, unless it becomes progressive. Mild thickening of pulmonary interstitium is called mild interstitial thickening which may result from exposure to any type of stimuli like infection, inflammation, asbestos, trauma, and tumor. But mild interstitial thickening is not always serious and people with it can function normally throughout their lives without any complications, unless pleural thickening becomes progressive and produces symptoms like chest pain, chronic cough, and shortness of breath. As you have been suffering from chest pain, you should take investigations like pulmonary function tests to exclude the respiratory or lung causes for your present sufferings and then treat them accordingly.

|