Q. What can I do to deal with the symptoms of Paroxetine withdrawal?

Dr. Parth Nagda
This is a premium question & answer published on May 21, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 07, 2021

I am 21-years-old. I was diagnosed with obsessive-compulsive disorder two years back. I followed treatment with the help of a psychiatrist who included cognitive behavioral therapy and medication. As many a time, I have tried to stop Seroxat (Paroxetine) on consultation with my psychiatrist, of course. My body reacted with nausea, dizziness, and other similar symptoms. So I take a Seroxat 20 mg once a day and in the next day half alternatively on my own initiative. This has been going on for the last few months as I was getting one and a half at first and then one. I have been taking them for two years now. I cannot stop taking medicine because I am afraid of the symptoms. What can I do to deal with the drug cut symptoms after I have completed the treatment? Thank you in advance for your response.

#

Thank you for your query.

Paroxetine has a short half-life, so that is why, when you are trying to stop it, it is causing you withdrawal symptoms.

There are two things you can try.

1. Replacing it with a longer-acting SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) and then stopping it. For example, start taking Fluoxetine 20 mg daily and Paroxetine 20 mg once every alternate day. After two weeks, stop Paroxetine. After two weeks of Fluoxetine 20 mg, take for the alternate day and stop.

2. Mix the whole 20 mg in a 200 ml glass of juice.

Take 190 ml for one day, then 180 ml the next, 170 ml the day after, and so on, and discard the rest.

So that way, you will not notice the difference.

|