Q. Can rat spread rabies?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 25 year old male. I went to a party and slept at an unhygienic place. There were a few rats around and now I am scared if any of them had bitten me. I am worried that I may get rabies. I cannot see any bite marks, though but I cannot shake the feeling off. Should I get rabies vaccine? Will it even work as it has been more six days now? I came to know from the internet that rats cannot cause rabies. I would not want to be the first case. Please help.

#

• Regarding your first question there is no documented case of rabies caused by a rat or mice. So, I will not suggest you take shots and moreover, you are not sure whether you are bitten or not.
  • Regarding your second question the rabies vaccine will be effective even after six days. That is post-exposure prophylaxis.
  • Rabies vaccine IM - intramuscular administered in the deltoid muscle on days 0, 3, 7 and 14. Rabies immunoglobulin should also be administered.
  • Also, I will advise you to take tetanus shots.

For further information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

|