Q. Does a red patch on the soft palate indicate erythroplakia?

Dr. Rakshana Devi
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

I have a reddish patch on the left side of the soft palate. I noticed it since this week. I also have numbness on the left side of the roof of the mouth. I went to a velscope examination yesterday and they said me that everything is fine. I have also consulted an ENT and he said me that there is nothing suspicious. I am afraid whether I have erythroplakia. I also have Gerd and anxiety and I am currently on birth pills. I also smoke. I do not know what to do more. I guess the dentist and the ENT would have seen if something was wrong. I have also noticed that the redness got reduced by now but it is not completely gone. But the left side of the roof of the mouth remains weird when I touch it with my tongue. Do you spot any sign of erythroplakia? What else should I do? I cannot sleep at night and I am desperate. Thank you.

#

Hello mam, good afternoon. Hope you are doing good. Thank you for approaching icliniq. I saw your query and have gone through the picture attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is not much clear. I will help you solve the issue. Do not worry. Even stress can cause some ulcers or red spots as seen in the picture. But it is not clear to diagnosis it. I suggest you apply topical Dentogel ointment (Choline salicylate and Lidocaine) on that area thrice a day for five days. Stop getting stress about it. Divert yourself and for GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease), consult a general physician. It will not be cancer or any other complications. Do not worry. Take mild antibiotics like Blumox (Amoxicillin) for three days twice a day and then wait for five days. It will subside. You can also apply coconut oil for relief. Take vitamin B and C supplements. Have a follow-up with a clear picture. It will subside soon. Do not worry. You also have root stumps, grossly decayed teeth, and calculus. Root stumps and grossly decayed teeth are teeth that remain destroyed to the half, which needs to be extracted. The calculus are yellow deposits that have to be cleaned by scaling. Avoid smoking as it can cause irritation and redness in the palate. So stop it gradually. Thank you. Have a nice day. Thank you.

The probable causes are stress and food habits.

Do an orthopantomogram

Take medications.

Have a follow-up after five days, if it did not subside.

|