Q. What are the causes for redness in eyes?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 01, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My eyes are red and sore for the past four days. It was really painful till yesterday. As I did not work in the computer and started to use eye refresher I am not getting bad headaches and eye pain anymore. When I change the focus, it is sore and is still really red. I have no idea about the cause of this. How to treat this?

#

• There are many causes for redness of eyes mainly allergy, infection, inflammation, dry eyes, etc.
  1. Redness + itching - allergy.
  2. Redness + pain + watering + decreased vision - infection.
  3. Redness + pain - inflammation.
  4. Redness + foreign body sensation - dryness.
  • If there is only redness, then it is normal as slight exposure to dust, temperature or air or eyes may be red in the morning.
  • Stress may also cause eye redness.
  • I usually do not treat when there is only redness, you can do the following:
  1. Blink a lot.
  2. Wash eyes with fresh water.
  3. Cold compresses.
  4. Use lubricating eye drop like Flogel (Sodium Carboxymethylcellulose).
  • These measures will help to keep your eyes healthy, but it will not have any effect on redness. Treating the general redness alone is not necessary.
  • Your eyes are diffusely red (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and it looks more likely eye flu that is pink eyes.
  • As there is no watering or discharge, this is not pink eyes. You should consult a local ophthalmologist for proper examination and treatment.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

I am trying to get an appointment with an ophthalmologist. I am just worried whether it is something serious. I went to a GP today and he said there is nothing serious. I only need to wear sunglasses in the sun, but he did not tell me what I might have. I put the eye drops in my eye all day, but my eye is still red.

#

• Please do not panic. There is nothing to worry.
  • I have already given you my differential diagnosis. None of them is a serious disease.
  • All of them can be treated easily and will resolve very fast.

|