Q. How to reduce belly fat in a diabetic?

Dr. Rajesh Kumar Padhan
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 30, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My father is a diabetic since 25 years. He had bypass surgery last year and has gained some belly fat.

He is taking medication for lipids. He has grade 2 fatty liver with no symptoms. Please examine my father's recent ultrasound which was done to check his enlarged prostate. Also, please see his blood reports and advise.

Currently, he is on Insulin Mixtard 30/70 - 38 units in the morning and 15 units at night. He is also taking Glycomet GP2 1-0-1, Linagliptin 5 mg 1-0-0, Fibator 10 mg 0-0-1, Metolar 25 1-0-0, Dynapres 0.4 0-0-1, Clopilet 75 1-0-0 and Ecosprin 150 1-0-0. Please guide.

#

His ultrasound (attachment removed to protect patient identity) of abdomen suggests fatty liver.

Liver function test (LFT) is normal. This indicates there is fat in liver, but it is not damaging liver. There is no specific treatment for fatty liver.

Main treatment to be followed is strict control of diabetes.

Avoid fatty food; if possible do some exercise in the form of morning walk.

Type 2 diabetes mellitus (DM).

Fatty liver.

Avoid oily food.

For further doubts consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

The problems are gas and bloated feeling. Last year we did a scan and it was fine. After one year we see grade 2 fatty liver. He keeps eating Unienzyme for gas. Please suggest any medicine for that.

#

Dyspepsia.

Dyspepsia.

1. Rantac (Ranitidine) tablet twice daily before food for a month.
2. Tablet Normaxin (combination of Chlordiazepoxide and Clidinium) one twice daily after food for a month.

1. Avoid fasting and eating spicy and oily food.
2. Avoid having cabbage, cauliflower and milk.
3. Take small frequent meals.

Revert back after 15 days to a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

|