Q. Due to personal problems, I have relationship issues with my mother. Please help.

Answered by
Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 02, 2019

Hello doctor,

I love my family. However, there is a huge ideological difference between my mother and me. Our religious views are poles apart and I feel someone is smothering me with those ideologies because I tend to take full control of situations under me. (eg: vegetarian vs non-vegetarian, etc).I cannot seem to express myself clearly. I feel like I should be leaving home and live my life the way I want to. But I always end at the same level and I tend to forget. I feel this has been an ongoing issue in my life. I am going through a divorce and I started having trust issues with people. Please help me and guide me.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Your dilemma is quite common. It is perfectly normal to have ideological differences with family members, but we can continue to be close to our family. You made a very important comment that "I cannot seem to express myself clearly." It is important to sit down with your mother and have an open talk about these issues which is grinding you down.

Sometimes parents do not always realize their children are grown up adults and have a mind on their own. Being clear and explicit with your mother about topics to avoid will help to ease your tension. Is your mother trying to be supportive in her way? Going through a divorce can be a stressful experience for anyone. It can have an overall exhausting effect on your life but will gradually get better with time.

I can understand your predicament. I think sometimes we have to accept that you cannot change an adult's personality but work around minimizing conflict. In this situation, it will help to just accept your mother as she is and learn to tolerate some amount of disagreement. Gradually develop better-coping strategies. Yoga and meditation can help.

Look after yourself during this period. Eat healthily, sleep well, exercise regularly, talk to trusted family members and friends. Do not isolate yourself as it can worsen the situation. If you find it difficult to cope, you can consider professional counseling.

Was this answer helpful?


Ask a QueryAsk a Query Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

My fiance is not giving me time and I am feeling depressed. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I feel so depressed from the past few weeks. I am in a relationship wherein, my fiance is not able to give me time. We are in the relationship for the past 5 years. I am so addicted to him that I do not have any other friends in my life and I feel he is my everything. Due to some reas...  Read Full »

How to judge a person wisely?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 21 year old male. I am usually little under-confident in judging someone. Whether known or a stranger, objectively it is really difficult for me.  Please give me some tips regard this. I mean it to be as general as possible.  Read Full »

How to deal with extreme stress and depression due to relationship issues?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from extreme stress and depression. I had a relationship for six years which was extremely deep, and it broke all of a sudden, and it leads to extreme depression and suicide attempts. After two years, I got recovered and then I started another relationship in which I wa...  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Psychiatrist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.