Q. I am suffering from extreme stress and depression due to relationship issues. How to deal with it?

Dr. Ruhi Satija
Published on Nov 12, 2019

I am suffering from extreme stress and depression. I had a relationship for six years which was extremely deep, and it broke all of a sudden, and it leads to extreme depression and suicide attempts. After two years, I got recovered and then I started another relationship in which I was very happy. But I was still afraid to love again. I was doubtful whether this guy too will cheat me or I may lose him. I was very happy with him, but now he is always fighting with me and makes reasons for the fight. This literally kills my mental health. I cry a lot and it literally breaks me. So I cannot even talk well to my parents. We are in a long-distance relationship and I love him very much and miss him a lot. As I cannot bear this distance, I cannot tolerate this sadness when he fights. Now I am worried whether he too will leave me. Besides this, another reason for my stress is unemployment. So how can I deal with this?

Dr. Ruhi Satija

Psychiatry
#

I can imagine how difficult it might be. You are having adjustment issues, trust issues on the surface. Secondly, there also might be cognitive distortions that are making you feel vulnerable and having frequent fights. There also might be self-esteem issues that are making you continue the relationships which you are not comfortable in.

I would suggest you start counseling therapy session. It is important that you spend some time understanding yourself. To be a part of a happy relationship, first, you have to be happy with yourself.

I am on Celexa and Xanax for OCD, but there is no improvement. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 36-year-old male who has suffered from OCD for the majority of my life. My psychiatrist has changed Celexa to 40 mg, and I am taking this dose for two months now. I have a feeling of mania, anxiety and I am unable to deal with it. I also feel impulsive, and sometimes I feel great,...  Read Full »

I have a habit of tongue thrusting. How to stop it?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a habit of tongue thrusting. Now, I am using permanent retainers for the past four months. How to overcome it?  Read Full »

How to cope with breakup after long term relationship?

Query: Hi doctor, One year ago, I had a serious breakup with my girlfriend. It was a relationship of five years. Even today, I am not able to forget her. I keep thinking about her. I am not able to concentrate on anything. I feel lonely. What do I do?  Read Full »