Q. Can renal calculi cause dark-colored urine?

Dr. Samer S J Altawil
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 09, 2021 and last reviewed on: Dec 11, 2021

I am a 45-year-old male with no comorbidities. I have been experiencing pain in the pubic region with on and off dark-colored urine for the last three weeks. Abdominal ultrasound shows renal calculi of size 3.5 mm and 4.2 mm in the left kidney and 5.2 mm in the right kidney with the mildly dilated pelvicalyceal system. It also indicates grade 1 prostatitis.

Kindly give your opinion for further management.

#

Obstruction due to ureteric stone will need further evaluation with a CT KUB (computed tomography of kidney ureter bladder). It is likely to get UTI (urinary tract infection), so it is better to have urine analysis and culture. Management of the stone depends on the size and position of the ureteric stone.

Prostate enlargement is expected after 45 years, and follow-up with the uroflowmetry and postvoid bladder scan will be required.

Revert with the reports.

|