Q. I am bleeding with clots after using MTP kit. Is this normal?

Answered by
Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sneha Kannan

Hello doctor,

I am 25 years old and had a pregnancy for five weeks. Four months back, I had used MTP kit. The problem is, even now I am having bleeding. Is this normal? How to sort this problem if it is not normal? Looking forward for your valuable feedback. Thank you.

Do you have a question on Retained Products Of Conception or Abortion?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Obstetrics And Gynaecology


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I understand your situation. This much of bleeding is considered unusual.

Either the process of abortion has been incomplete, because of which the uterus is still trying to expel out the products of conception. Or you have some blood problem.

Are you still passing clots? Or is it plain blood that is coming? Also, if you could tell me exactly how you proceeded to take the medicine it would give an idea of the cause of bleeding. For the time being, take tablet Tranexamic acid 500 mg, thrice a day. This will stop the bleeding, but not cure the problem. So, till the time we know exactly what is wrong, you can take this tablet.

The Probable causes:

Incomplete abortion.

Investigations to be done:

Ultrasound pelvis for retained products of conception (RPOC) and CBC (complete blood count).

Hi doctor,

I have still been passing blood with clots. Please help.

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Obstetrics And Gynaecology


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

Sorry to hear, that you are bleeding so heavily and still passing clots.

It seems the abortion process is not complete. I suggest you get CBC as well as an ultrasound pelvis done at the earliest.

If there are any bits and pieces left inside, it will be easily seen on the ultrasound. You can then go for evacuation if required, depending upon the size of product of conception left inside.

Also Read Answers From:

Related Questions & Answers

After abortion, my wife is bleeding from anus. How to manage?
Query: Hi doctor, My wife was admitted to hospital due to incomplete abortion and dengue fever NS1 reactive. She had 6 weeks pregnancy. Doctor has done surgical abortion and it was found dengue fever after blood test. She was admitted for three days. Her initial platelet count was 150000 and later 180000, ...  Read Full »
Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya
Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. How reliable were those blood tests? If those were reliable, then there is no need to worry for bleeding from two sites. Otherwise, repeat it from a good place. Secondly, just start any birth control pill from today as it will lessen the bleeding. I suggest Laxit plus...  Read Full »
I have been spotting for more than 15 days. What to do?
Query: Hi doctor, I have been spotting for more than 15 days without any pain. I had periods before 20 days, and it has not completely disappeared. I am married but had not had sex in the last two years. I had missing and irregular menstrual cycle once a year, but never like this. I had progesterone six ye...  Read Full »
Dr. Aishwarya Parthasarathy
Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you are spotting for the first time, then I suggest tablet Trapic (Tranexamic acid) thrice daily until bleeding stops. If it persists, then visit your nearest obstetrician and gynecologist and get an internal examination and pap smear. For further information consult...  Read Full »
How can I control heavy bleeding during periods?
Query: Hello doctor,I am 25 years old married girl. This time, there is a heavy flow during my periods (nonstop bleeding) but there is no pain and no discomfort. Today is the second day of my periods. What should I do? It does not look like a normal period bleeding that I usually have.  Read Full »
Dr. Keerthiha
Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. When was your previous period date? Did you check HPT (home pregnancy test)? If the flow is heavier, you can take tablet Trapic (Tranexamic acid) 500 mg 1-1-1 for three days. If not, reduce it by three days. Kindly consult a gynecologist in person. For more informat...  Read Full »


Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Doctor Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.