iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersAllergy Specialistrhinitis medicamentosaI am using Nasivion daily for nasal congestion. Shall I continue the same?

Can Oxymetazoline hydrochloride nasal drops be used daily?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At December 13, 2017
Reviewed AtMay 17, 2024

Patient's Query

I am 28 years old. I am using Nasivion 0.05 % daily for around three to four times for the last 8 to 10 years. Also, I am allergic to many things. Please help me with this health issue.

We are happy to help you.

First of all, please understand that Nasivion (Oxymetazoline) has a local vasoconstrictor as an active ingredient. It should not be used for more than four or five days continuously.

You have been using it for 8 to 10 years. You are suffering from rhinitis medicamentosa, which is a sort of addiction to the drops.

When you put the drops your nose is unblocked, and after a few hours, it gets congested again on its own. This cycle repeats itself and, over the years, has got worsened due to the use of Nasivion by you.

Now, I would first suggest you to stop the drops and start on Nasivion mini. This has a concentration of 0.01 %, and use it for five days. Then you stop mini and start Nasivion S, plain saline. Continue saline for a week's time. This tapering will relieve you from the problem gradually.

Subsequently, you will have to put yourself on Florist nasal spray (Fluticasone propionate), two puffs in each nostril twice daily for two weeks and, after that, once daily for a month.

Regarding allergy, during acute attacks, I suggest the tablet Allegra M (Fexofenadine and Montelukast combination). Florist nasal spray helps to relieve and prevent nasal allergies as well. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the treatment with consent.

However, the key to effective management of allergies is meticulous avoidance of the allergen. This prevention is the best cure.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N
Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Allergy Specialist

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy