Q. What is the treatment for ringworm?

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

I have ringworm on the thighs, arms and chest for four months. When I used Fourderm, it was fine for two weeks. But again, it came back. I have not taken any oral medicines yet. I am on BP medicine Stamlo Beta. My age is 59 years.

#

Dermatophytosis or ringworm infection is caused by fungi that invade and grow in dead keratin. Tinea corporis is the fungal infection of body, including trunk and arms.

• Risk factors for recurrent fungal infections include any immunocompromised state like diabetes. Have you ever been tested for diabetes?
  • Do you have intense itching? Do you have isolated or large confluence of lesions at the sites you have mentioned?
  • Are there any extensive skin lesions? How is the response to topical therapy?

Well, apart from the medical management following preventive measures are to be followed. Good nail hygiene, good skin hygiene, avoid dampness or wetting of the skin.

Wear loose-fitting and clean undergarments as well as clothes.

Coming to medical management, topical antifungals are effective for treating most cases of tinea corporis.

Systemic therapy is given in immunocompromised individuals, extensive skin lesions and those refractory to topical therapy.

Now for you ,as you are responsive to topical agents and that your lesions are not extensive, I would advise you to take the following therapy.

• Topical therapy has to be applied to the lesion and at least 2 cm beyond this area twice daily for at least two weeks.
  • Candid powder or Clotrimazole powder to be applied topically after shower twice daily (or) Monistat or Miconazole ointment or lotion to be applied sparingly to avoid maceration.
  • Luzu or Luliconazole 1% to be applied once daily after shower for one week.
  • If you have intense itching, then tablet Levocetrizine twice daily till itching subside.
  • Do not scratch as this may lead to secondary bacterial infection.

Revert back with the answers if yes to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|