Q. What should I do for eczema-like lesion on the face?

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 01, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 03, 2020

I just noticed that in my face near to mouth, I have something like eczema, but colorless. I checked on the net and it is like ringworm. I am very much worried. What should I do? I am currently on beta blockers. Last week when I had a blood test, my doctor advised me to take Iron supplements.

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

Please put up some clear pictures of the affected area for proper evaluation and guidance. Thank you.

Revert back with photographs to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

I have attached the photos. I do not have any pain or itching. Only there are some changes in the skin.

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

#

I have gone through the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

It could be either ringworm or PMLE (polymorphous light eruption) due to sun exposure.

If some clear raised border of the patch is identifiable and the rash is unilateral or asymmetrical, then it is most probably tinea or fungal infection.

I would need another clear photograph from a distance of about 1 feet, in which both sides of face are visible so as to identify this change.

If there has been a recent exposure in the sunlight, the rash is more or less bilaterally symmetrical, more chances of PMLE.

• Treatment is different in both cases. In case of fungal you may apply antifungal creams like Clotrimazole or Sertaconazole twice daily. A course of oral antifungal would also be needed, like Fluconazole or Terbinafine.
  • In case of PMLE, midpotent topical steroid, like Mometasone or Fluticasone applied twice daily for one week, along with regular sunscreen protection would be needed.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|