Q. Are red and itchy rosacea symptoms of lupus?

Dr. Gauri Kshirsagar
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 06, 2020

I am 39 years old. I have a very bad red, itchy, weeping, scaly butterfly rash on my face which my doctor says is Rosacea. But it has responded to no treatments except steroid cream so far. I also have excessive watering, itching, and swelling of my eyes (ocular rosacea). Not sure if there is a connection but my periods have become unusually light during the last year.

Could I have something more than just Rosacea do you think? I am currently being tested for lupus but would there be other possibilities for what could be causing this?

#

From the photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity) it looks like rosacea. However, the possibility of lupus and allergies to sun exposure can not be ruled out. You should check out for lupus.

Steroids are not given in rosacea, as initially, it may give a good improvement, but as the times goes by you will be completely dependent on them. Topical steroids cause skin atrophy and hoards of other problems which is more or less permanent. So I will suggest you stay away from them.

Topical Metronidazole gel at night with a good sunscreen (as rosacea worsens with sun exposure) will give results. Rosacea is a chronic condition and will stay for a long time. You will have to manage it well. It some times shows signs of flare-ups and downs, generally as a response to anxiety, stress, excitement, and prolonged sun exposure.

Minimize sun exposure. Use sunscreen meticulously, daily. No cosmetics on the face.

Follow up after the use of said medications in 15 days time.

|