Q. What does positive lupus anticoagulant test mean?

I have recently been told my first test of antiphospholipid syndrome shows positive lupus anticoagulants. What does that mean for someone with no symptoms? I took Articaine and Phenphedrine the day before the test. Can an overdose cause the test to be faulty? I had four miscarriages so far, but I also have a healthy 6 and 4 year olds.

#

• You have a history of four recurrent miscarriage and cause for that seems to be an antiphospholipid syndrome. Because of thrombosis secondary to antiphospholipid syndrome, miscarriage occurred.
  • If you are on anticoagulant medication, then it could be a false result. But you had mentioned local anesthetic and food supplement drug in the history, which does not create a problem in lupus test normally.
  • For antiphospholipid syndrome, anticardiolipin and lupus anticoagulant can be detected in the blood. For that, ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) testing is done.
  • In this condition, APTT (activated thromboplastin time) is also prolonged. The treatment for this syndrome is targeted to prevent clot formation by Heparin and Warfarin along with low dose Aspirin. But, Warfarin is not used in pregnancy. In pregnancy, only Heparin is used as Warfarin is a teratogenic drug.

Hope your concern is solved. Take care.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|