Q. Based on the MRI report, please suggest the cause and treatment for my knee swelling and pain.

Dr. Ismail Kabakus

I received an MRI imaging of my knee for swelling, pain in and around my knee cap and back of the knee. I have pain while walking up and down the stairs with clicking, grinding, and popping sounds. I am a long-distance runner, and my initial consultation prompted concerns of meniscus injury. I hope to get a diagnosis if I tore anything, as my follow-up appointment with my doctor cannot be scheduled until next month. Currently, I am taking Lexapro 20 mg. Thanks.

#

It is a pleasure for me to help you and answer your questions. This is an excellent quality knee MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) without intravenous contrast (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). There is a small amount of joint effusion (increased fluid within the joint space). In your case, it is most likely traumatic. There is also anterior lateral femoral condyle and patellar bone edema (again likely due to overuse and repetitive trauma). This entity is known as a patellofemoral syndrome; the other name is runner's knee. Bone edema usually resolves itself. NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) may help reduce pain and inflammation. There is a slightly increased signal in the quadriceps muscle tendon, which attaches to your patella, likely mild tendinosis, which might be seen in runners. No tear. The good news is that the menisci and anterior and posterior cruciate, and other ligaments look very good.

Get some rest, take some painkillers. Most of the time, it will go away. The good news is no menisci, ligament, or tendon tear. Let me know if you have any further questions. I hope these address your concerns.

Overuse.

Runner's knee.

NSAIDs.

|