Q. What is the tag like structure near frenum under the tongue?

Dr. Tinu Thampy

I have a small tag like structure near frenulum on one out of two ducts which goes on both sides under the tongue. Kindly have a close look and advise.

Dr. Tinu Thampy

Dentistry Maxillofacial Prosthodontist Oral And Maxillofacial Surgery Oral Implantologist
#

In the image (attachment removed to protect patient identity), the lesion looks like either the after effect of an injury to the duct or salivary gland stone or a papilloma. Nothing to worry. This can be removed by surgical excision of the lesion. After that send the specimen for histopathologic examination for confirmed diagnosis.

For more information consult a maxillofacial prosthodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/maxillofacial-prosthodontist

| 

Are you sure it is not a cancerous growth? Can it be left like it is? Or surgical excision is necessary?

Dr. Tinu Thampy

#

The clinical appearance of this lesion is closely related to salivary duct calculus (stone) or due to after effect of ductal injury or papilloma. Surgical excision of this lesion is a small procedure and can be done under local anesthesia. Histopathological examination of the excised specimen will give the final diagnosis. It is advisable to get the treatment or surgical excision (most preferable) for all abnormal growth in the body. A non-cancerous growth also can become a cancerous lesion if left untreated for a long time.

|