Q. Is memory loss a side effect of schizoaffective disorder treatment?

Dr. Padmapriya Chandran
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 19, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder and was treated with Zyprexa. After a while, it turned out that I have neutropenia as a side effect. So, I was given Lithium about half a year ago. Now, instead of Zyprexa, I am taking Ridazin for the last three weeks. What are the side effects of this new medicine? Because, I feel like I have some sort of memory loss. Does it have anything to do with it?

Dr. Padmapriya Chandran

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor
#

• You have been prescribed Thioridazine, an antipsychotic along with Lithium as a mood stabilizer.
  • Memory loss is possibly because of the cognitive impairment as a part of your illness. Neither of these drugs causes memory loss.
  • Try practicing memory games often and you could be benefited by an improvement in your memory in some time.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

| 

Your answer was very helpful. Is the memory loss reversible? What is the prognosis of schizoaffective disorder? I am asking about the damage to cognitive skills and social skills. Also, I would like to know the frequency of the schizophrenic symptoms in schizoaffective disorder when taking medication.

Dr. Padmapriya Chandran

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor
#

• Your cognitive deficits will not be progressive. The symptoms of schizophrenia will be kept under control as long as you are on an adequate and regular dosage of medications.
  • You can resume your normal work pattern avoiding night shifts. This will help you to regain your social and cognitive skills.
  • Also, engage yourself in a hobby and invest your interest in it. Practice a few yogasanas daily.
  • You will return back to your premorbid levels soon and will also be able to remain in remission.

|