Q. What is the significance of a sclerotic lesion in rib scan?

Dr. Vivek Chail
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
Published on Mar 28, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2019

What is the significance of a sclerotic lesion in rib found on CT scan? What does sclerotic mean?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiodiagnosis Radiology
#

• A sclerotic area in the bone is a part where there is increased deposition of calcium and therefore the bone mineralization in higher in this area.
  • The exact nature of the lesion varies with age and other existing conditions.
  • It is usually a harmless benign finding like the bone island (benign bone tumor), healing fracture, osteoblastoma and enchondroma (cartilage tumor) in most cases and rarely even a malignancy (osteosarcoma or metastasis) can cause it.
  • Discuss the finding of a sclerotic rib lesion in details with your doctor. Since it is more often from benign causes, please do not worry much.

For further information consult a radiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/radiologist

How long would it take a rib fracture to look sclerotic on imaging? Will it be sclerotic in healing fracture or a fresh one?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiodiagnosis Radiology
#

• Callus can visualize on imaging at two weeks after a fracture. In four weeks time, it becomes a mild to moderate amount and after eight weeks there is abundant callus visualized.
  • The callus shows a sclerotic appearance in the area of the fracture, which can be well visualized from four weeks after the injury.
  • Fresh fractures will not have callus and therefore no sclerotic reaction.

For further doubts consult a radiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/radiologist

Can you explain the healing process?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiodiagnosis Radiology
#

After a fracture, there would have been calcium deposition in the fracture area in four weeks to call it a sclerotic lesion.

A fracture can be of many types varying from a open displaced fracture which is obvious to a hairline fracture which is the mild form. Therefore if there was a mild fracture which healed, then it will be visualised as a sclerotic lesion.

That makes sense to me. Would the radiologist still see a fracture line or just the sclerosis?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiodiagnosis Radiology
#

If the CT scan was done between four to eight weeks after the suspected fracture then the radiologist will see only sclerosis. The sharp fracture line gets hazy due to healing after few weeks.

Please explain my brother's heart problem from the report.

Query: Hello doctor,For a few months, my brother is suffering from cough with asthma. When we consulted our doctor, he asked us to get a few tests like echo and CT scan. From the test reports, he was detected with some heart problem. Some doctors said that as thrombus and some said as mass. I have attached...  Read Full >>

Dr. Rishu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is a rhabdomyoma of heart. Rhabdomyoma is a benign tumor and in your brother case, it is present in the heart. As it is in the left atrium of heart, it is causing the size of cavity of the heart to increase. Cough and breathing problem you are facing are because o...  Read Full

Corns, Callosities, and Plantar Warts

Article Overview: If the skin on your feet feels hard, rough, dry, and painful while walking, it might be corn or callosities. Reach out to a doctor now. Read Article

Definition of Corns and callosities Corns and callosities refer to the localized thickenings of the skin that appear over sites of repeated trauma and pressure. Predisposing Factors Prolonged pressure. Friction. Shearing forces of bone against each other. Ill-fitting shoes. Clinical Featu...  Read Article

How long can I take Ibuprofen for pain from broken ribs?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 65 year old female, and I fell 10 days back and broke one or two ribs. The only thing that brings any relief is Ibuprofen 800 mg. I need to know how often and for how long can I take Ibuprofen? I tried Oxycodone 10 mg, but it does not work that well. Thank you.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, Ibuprofen is a strong painkiller, it should not often be taken, as it has many side effects like gastritis, liver and kidney damage. But in initial days of pain following rib fracture, pain is actually very severe. I suggest you try doing the following: Tram...  Read Full

Ask a Radiologist Now