Q. I have a history of scoliosis, and I want to start a family of my own. Will this defect be passed on to my child?

Dr. Monica Mathur
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 12, 2022 and last reviewed on: Dec 06, 2022

I am a 23-year-old male. My height is 5 feet 8 inches and my weight is 71 kilograms. I got married last year and want to start my family now but I am concerned about genetics. I have a backbone issue by birth. My back is a little towards right from the center on the top side so I want to know will it affect the child or are there some chances to have a healthy child. Is there some test that I should get done? Please let me know if it is a serious concern for me.

#

The back bone problem is basically scoliosis. It will cause a slight change in the posture when you bend forwards. This is not genetically transmitted so you do not need to worry. Your future baby will not be affected from this condition but a regular check-up for other condition as per the doctor need has to be done.

Kindly follow-up for more queries.

|