Q. What is the best treatment for sebaceous cyst?

Dr. Shaunak Patel
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 31, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have sebaceous cyst in my face near cheeks. It is painless and about 0.5 cm in size. It looks awkward in my face. I need to remove it. Please suggest me the best treatment for the same.

#

• Best treatment would be lasering the cyst and manually removing the capsule, so that it does not recur again.
  • Debridement of the fat is also vital to achieve the normal contour of the cheek.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I do not want to go for laser treatment. Is there any medicine available? One of my friend has taken some tablet and the cyst got rectified it seems. I would like to try medicine first.

#

• Your friend could be having an acne cyst for which he could have taken the medication which would have helped.
  • But in your case, it is the sebaceous cyst (going by your word) which is a fat cyst. So, the fat has to be removed along with the capsule.
  • A more economic way is to go for a radio frequency cautery from an experienced dermatosurgeon who will remove the cyst and the contents along with the capsule well.
  • If you are not sure whether the cyst is sebaceous cyst or acne, I suggest you to visit a dermatologist for diagnosis.

|