Q. I am trying for a baby and need advice on my semen analysis report.

Dr. Dwipannita Kalita

I am a 30-year-old male. I have done the semen analysis, and the doctor where I have consulted has not responded to my query.

Sperm count is 30 million.

Active motile is 40 percent.

Slugish 30.

Non-motile 30.

Kindly advise what to do.

What are the sperm count for a normal person and other motile percentage?

#

Since you have not uploaded any attachment of your semen analysis report along with your query. It is hard to give you a complete proper answer to it.

You have not mentioned your sperm morphology (size and shape), ejaculate volume, and whether the sperm count you have mentioned is either total sperm count in ejaculate or sperm concentration per milliliter of ejaculate.

I hope you can upload the file or a picture of your report so that I can help you further and give you a proper interpretation of your report.

Follow up with report attachment or picture.

No, I did not had any abstinence.

#

Thank you for the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and further follow-up.

Your report suggests that your total sperm count is less, which should be a minimum of 39 million as per WHO guidelines, and yours is 30 million.

Active motility is 40%, which is good. However, you have 6-8 pus cells, which means there is an ongoing infection, which is a common reason for low sperm count.

Another reason for low sperm count could be that there was no abstinence for a minimum of 72 hours before giving the sample, which should have been advised to you beforehand because it is a prerequisite. Since you wanted to know about your report's interpretation only, I cannot give you further advice.

But you do need to take an antibiotic course and repeat the sample after four weeks from a good lab.

I would take the antibiotic course as per your suggestion. Regarding the infection, can you please elaborate? Is the infection deadly or normal?

#

First of all, I would advise you to relax and not stress out because stress makes things worse.

Regarding your query about infection, there are many causes of pus in semen such as chlamydia infection, gonococcal urethritis, non-specific urethritis, candidal balanitis, prostatitis, etc.

Did you have any discharge or itching from the penis?

It is also compulsory to know if you have any drug allergy from any antibiotics or other medication before I start any antibiotics according to guidelines. And any sort of infection I mentioned above are all treatable, and you do not have to worry further. And this infection can cause a decrease in sperm count. Also, your partner’s history of such infection is important for the future. Please inform me regarding any drug allergies.

| 

I cannot understand my semen analysis report. Please explain.

Query: Hello doctor,The semen analysis report is in my hand, but I cannot understand it.Liquefaction time- 30 minutes.Duration of abstinence- four days.Appearance- creamy white.Volume 4.0 ml.Ph 8Fructose- Present.Motility- 100.Spermatozoa- rapid 20%, slow 10%, non-progressive motility 5%, immotile 83%.Vita...  Read Full »

Can you interpret my semen analysis reports in layman terms?

Query: Hello doctor,Good day. My wife and I are trying to conceive and one of the tests done was a semen analysis test for me. I picked the results up from the lab, but I would not be able to see my doctor till a couple of days because of work. I am anxious and I would love an interpretation. I have attach...  Read Full »

Ringworm Infections

Article Overview: This article discusses in detail the preventive measures for ringworm infections. Read Article

Dr. Vinay Kumar

Medical Name: Tinea corporis This is an infective condition of the skin that is caused by fungus which has tendency to grow fast in the hot, humid regions of the body. Facts About Ringworm Infections: Ring worm infection affects people of all age groups and has a worldwide distribution. It...  Read Article

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask a Family Physician Now