Q. Why is there enterococcus fecalis in recent semen analysis recurrently?

Dr. Shahil Khant
and medically reviewed by Dr. Dr. Divya Banu M
Published on Aug 05, 2019

I had a semen analysis done two months ago and they found enterococcus faecalis. What causes this? Urologist put me on Amoxicillin and a month later a 2nd analysis showed the bacteria had gone. Just recently they did a fertility test since I am family planning and everything looked good except the round cells. Seems you should not have more than 1 million and I had 11 million. What does this mean towards family planning? Also, does this mean I have an infection again? If so, why did it come back or be there in the first place? What can I do to fix as it stressed on the family planning aspect?

Dr. Shahil Khant

Andrology General Surgery Urology
#

Relax and do not worry. First of all, why did you have a semen analysis done? For what complaints? Enterococcus fecalis is very rare and may suggest contamination. If other parameters like count, motility, etc., are fine then it is nothing to worry. About round cells (sometimes sperms may also look like round cells). If possible, send me printed report of your semen analysis.

I get stinging discomfort at the base of the shaft near the testicles and in the perineum area. That is the cause of the first analysis which determined the enterococcus faecalis. The doctor put me on medications and the second test determined it was gone. Since I and my significant other are trying for a baby, the fertility analysis was to check if everything is right for pregnancy to be possible. I get that round cells can be mistaken for sperm cells but it usually still stays within the acceptable range of 1 million/ml but mine shows 11 million/ml. That leads to concerns for baby-making and if a possible infection has returned.

I have no idea how I got the first infection to being with much less the second one if I have a new infection. The urologist I saw thinks I have been doing anal sex and am shy to admit it but that is not the case. No anal sex so what else can be causing this. Sperm analysis is attached as requested.

Dr. Shahil Khant

Andrology General Surgery Urology
#

The only way to be sure about present infection is to get done semen culture once again. If culture comes positive then will require antibiotics. If culture is negative, then no need to worry. You can go ahead with family planning. Possible source of infection can also be your partner vaginal tract. If possible, get your partner checked with a gynecologist. Also, take Antioxidants orally which will help to improve sperm parameters.

Can you interpret my semen analysis reports in layman terms?

Query: Hello doctor,Good day. My wife and I are trying to conceive and one of the tests done was a semen analysis test for me. I picked the results up from the lab, but I would not be able to see my doctor till a couple of days because of work. I am anxious and I would love an interpretation. I have attach...  Read Full »

Can Terbinaforce plus be used for vaginal infection?

Query: Hello doctor,Can Terbinaforce plus cream be used for a vaginal infection? I have itching after periods. Please guide.  Read Full »