Q. With respect to my semen report, do I need ICIS?

Dr. Purushottam Sah
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 04, 2020

I have recently had a semen analysis in anticipation of doing IVF with my wife. The two parameters showed up as low are the percentage of normal morphology and motility index. I will attach the semen analysis results along with this query. My questions are the following. Am I considered subjective in fertility circles? Will these readings require ICIS for IVF? I also have a history of on and off prostatitis. I had a sperm analysis a year ago and all the parameters were fine that time except sperm morphology.

#

• Your total motility is normal and the morphology is low. To improve normal morphology, please stay away from heat, chemical, smoking, alcohol and cold compress the testes daily for five minutes.
  • My advice is to take vitamins C, E, B complex, folic acid, zinc and eat more vegetables and fruits.
  • You mentioned that you have prostatitis, but in the report infection is not there. You are overweight and so reduce weight.
  • With this report, you do not need ICSI (intracytoplasmic sperm injection). A conventional IVF - in vitro fertilization will be enough. Even, an IUI (intrauterine insemination) can be done if morphology is improved by three months with the measures mentioned above.
  • If morphology is not improved, then you may need ICSI to pick up a normal sperm. Your motile sperm count is 45 million per mL and it should be more than 6 million per mL.

For further information consult an andrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/andrologist

|