Q. Use of teeth whitening strips caused a burning sensation. Why?

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 09, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have braces. Sometimes, I use whitening strips. Recently, it has caused a sharp burning feeling. Do I have a cavity?

#

I have seen the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• You are not having any cavities. It is dentin hypersensitivity. It is the most common problem caused by the use of whitening strips, followed by gum irritation.
  • The peroxide chemical in the whitening strips interacts with your nerves in the tooth and results in thermal sensitivity and a mild pain that is bearable.
  • I suggest you stop using the strips and go for interdental toothbrushes that come in different shapes and sizes for all different teeth.
  • When your orthodontic treatment is complete, you can then go for a bleaching procedure.
  • I suggest you use Colgate anti-sensitivity toothpaste.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|