Q. I have sensorineural hearing loss with hearing impairment. Do I need hearing aid?

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

I suffer from sensorineural hearing loss in both my ears for nine months. I had a mild hearing loss that got worse over the winter with ear infections. As a result, my hearing got worse, and I need to get hearing aids. I also have tinnitus in my left ear. Also, I have fluid in my mastoid air cells. Will ear tubes help me with my hearing and overall?

#

Hearing in all of us is defined by a conductive component and sensorineural component. Anything to do with the nerve and transmission of nerve impulses is termed sensorineural and in most cases the damage is irreversible.

Anything interfering with the conduction of sound is considered to be conductive and there could be plenty of listed reasons from wax to fixed ossicles.

Now coming to your case, if you have been priorly diagnosed with a sensorineural hearing loss (snhl) via means of pure tone audiometry and in addition if your middle ear compartment and cleft are accumulated with fluid probably due to eustachian tube catarrh the improvement in hearing after insertion of tubes is going to be somewhere between 20 to 30 % and not more, considering there is a probable moderate to severe sensorineural hearing loss present.

Hearing aids are definitely going to help when a sensorineural component is moderately or severely involved. In profound snhl, the hearing aids are not much of a benefit and in such a case cochlear implants are the devices of choice.

Thank you for your kind help.

#

Your most welcome. Keep in touch for further doubts.

| 

Tinnitus worsening mom's anxiety. What might help her?

Query: Hello doctor,My mother is in a care home and is experiencing very loud tinnitus. She is becoming very stressed and anxious as this has been going on for months. We have asked her GP to help but it does not seem that anything can be done. She has had her ears cleared but this has not helped either. S...  Read Full »

Please suggest ayurveda treatment for hearing loss.

Query: Hi doctor,I am a 46 year old man having diagnosed with a bilateral sensorineural hearing loss. I have been experiencing this for the last two months. Please suggest any ayurveda treatment for the same?  Read Full »

I have constant tinnitus and sensorineural hearing loss. Is it Meniere's disease?

Query: Hello doctor, I have constant tinnitus and sensorineural hearing loss for about five months. I am sending you reports of my PTA and otoscopy. Now I have ear fullness, tinnitus, and hearing loss in my left ear. My right ear is normal. Tinnitus is continuous for past four months. I do not have any ve...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»