Q. What foods to avoid in serotonin syndrome?

Answered by Dr. Smit Uttam Janrao and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Serotonin Syndrome or Diet Plan? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

My 39-year-old son was hospitalized for five days with serotonin syndrome. He was given intravenous and Ativan. He was discharged from the hospital and he will go to his doctor regarding his meds. The problem is he was never told if he needs to stay away from certain foods that might cause his serotonin levels to elevate. I was just reading online about foods to avoid with serotonin syndrome and after reading this I am not sure what he can eat. Sadly, the hospital did not give him any information on what he could eat. There is a list of foods that increase serotonin levels which include foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids, such as tuna, and those high in tryptophan, an amino acid found in eggs, soy and soy beverages, turkey, eggs, pumpkin seeds, peanuts and peanut butter, chicken and cheeses. A diet rich in folate may also contribute to increased serotonin levels. Some foods rich in folate include leafy green vegetables, beans, legumes, nuts, bread, and cereals. It sounds like there really is nothing he can eat without worrying about causing any additional problems. After reading all this, what can he eat? This is extremely scary as I have no clue about what he can and cannot eat. If possible, please reply as soon as possible because I did not realize that all these foods were included in things he might have to stay away from, other then turkey perhaps. Thanking you in advance for any advice.