Q. I have low sperm count and volume and problems with my sexual performance. What to do?

Answered by
Dr. Alexander Davis
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sneha Kannan
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 20, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 21, 2021

Hi doctor,

I have an issue with my sexual performance. I masturbate frequently and I am not getting sexual arousal nowadays. I have hypothyroidism with low sperm count and volume.



Welcome to

As you have hypoactive thyroid, you need to investigate TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone), FT3 (free triiodothyronine), FT4 (free thyroxine), and the other three main thyroid antibodies. Sonography can be done. A good hormone replacement therapy can help you. For sexual issues, you seem to suffer from a disturbed sexual arousal cascade. So you need to refrain from sex for three months and refrain from masturbation completely. I prescribe you two herbal or mineral medications and you will become better soon.

The Probable causes:

You have thyroid dysfunction and sexual arousal cascade disturbance.

Investigations to be done:

You have to do a thyroid lab panel (comprehensive) and sonography of the thyroid.

Differential diagnosis:

The causes are various.

Probable diagnosis:

You have hypothyroidism of still unknown cause and sexual arousal cascade dysfunction.

Treatment plan:

You have to investigate thyroid hormones by an endocrinologist and refrain from sex and masturbation.

Preventive measures:

In case if you are not married, I recommend a physical masturbation prevention device. You can get back to me if you want this help.

Regarding follow up:

Revert me whenever you want.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Is there any siddha medicine for low sperm count with hydrocele and calcification in testes?

.. seen your reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The tiny calcification and minimal hydrocele will not interfere with your fertility. Usually, both arise as a result of local trauma or local infection. I do not know how long ...   Read full

How to improve my sex performance?

The most important and the most common reason for sexual dysfunction is psychological ...   Read full

I have testicle pain and low sperm count.Kindly suggest siddha medicines.

.. not mentioned your age, marital status, body weight, occupation, how long the testis pain has been there and any swelling in testis. With the available information, the answer is as follows: If the orchitis (inflammation of testis) may be due t...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Coronavirus Variant Arcturus: | Omicron XBB.1.16 Variant
Arcturus is an emerging variant of the Omicron virus that causes various symptoms and spreads rapidly across the world. ...  Read more»
Adrenaline Rush - Symptoms, Causes, Effects, and How to Control
Adrenaline is a hormone responsible for fight or flight response. It is also a neurotransmitter and medicine. It is also...  Read more»
Fatty Liver - Types, Symptoms, Stages, and Treatment
The liver is the largest gland in the body. Its primary function is to process the food and drinks we consume. and filte...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Sexologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.