Q. Should I avoid hot tub and sauna before trying to conceive?

Dr. Raveendran Sr
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

My question is for a male fertility specialist. I am big into hot saunas, hot tubs, and also have a cold plunge. I have read everything about how heat can cause men to have all sorts of issues. My question is around timing. For example, could I use a sauna or hot tub for weeks or days before conceiving during ovulation periods? Or is it something that I should just cut from my regimen all together while my wife and I are trying to get pregnant? Similar question when it comes to a cold plunge, I have heard icing your testicles is excellent and helps fertility. I assume the cold plunge has similar effects but wanted to make sure that it is also not too hardcore. I got in five minutes at 42 degrees F once or twice a day currently.

#

• Yes, you can use a sauna or hot tub weekly once.
  • You are right; you should not be in a hot tub or sauna for a week at least, for healthy sperm.
  • No icing is not suitable for sperm.
  • Your scrotum will regulate its temperature by shrinking and relaxing.
  • Too hot or too cold is not good.
  • It will be better to cut down entirely, follow a healthy lifestyle, and get some multivitamins until your partner gets pregnant.

Doubts regarding fertility.

Semen complete, and serum testosterone.

Medical management - Capsule Astymin forte (L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, L-Lycine, L-Phenylalanine, and L-Threonine) in the morning after food for 30 days.

Healthy lifestyle.

|