Q. I am a cross dresser who is attracted to men. Does that make me a trans woman?

This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 18, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 22, 2022

I am 30 years old. I crossdress from the age of 15. I have erections and ejaculations only while sleeping upside down on the bed. Unlike other guys, it does not happen when standing. I also have significant breast growth as they are quite visible. I suspect that I am a transwoman, though not a transgender. How to know if I am a transwoman? I have an attraction toward men, and my erections only happen imagining men. I have not had sex with a man anytime, though. I tried it once with a woman but in vain. During oral sex with a woman, I had natural erections, though. Please advise.

#

I read your query and understand your concerns.

First of all, I would like to inform you that there is no test to detect if one is a trans woman. It all depends on the attitude, orientation, sexual relationships, sexual response, and body language. Considering the sexual response toward men, poor erection in most of the positions except lying prone, development of breast (although it could be normal for any young man), and occurrence of erections only after imagining men say a lot about your gender, attitude and sexual orientation.

The most important thing is whether you feel any distress due to these problems. If you are comfortable with being a man and do not have any distress, I feel the possibility of a heterosexual orientation needs to be explored and strengthened.

In case you feel you are not comfortable with your current attitude, it is time to seek help. Unfortunately, there are no medications to change the attitude and orientation. The only way to change it to the comfort level is through counseling. The pattern of counseling is decided after a thorough evaluation of your orientation and desire as well as your comfort level with different behaviors such as cross-dressings, erections, and attractions.

At this stage, I request you to seek an in-person consultation with a psychiatrist in your city.

I will be glad to help you further if required.

|