Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. I am a cross dresser who is attracted to men. Does that make me a trans woman?

Answered by
Dr. Ashok Kumar Choudhary
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 18, 2017

Hello doctor,

I am 30 years old. I cross dress from the age of 15. I have erections and ejaculations only while sleeping upside down on the bed. Unlike other guys, it does not happen when standing. I also have a significant breast growth as they are quite visible. I suspect that I am a transwoman, though not a transgender. How to know if I am a transwoman? I have an attraction towards men and my erections only happen imagining men. I have not had sex with a man anytime though. I tried it once with a woman, but in vain. During oral sex with a woman, I had natural erections though. Please advise.

Dr. Ashok Kumar Choudhary

Andrology Geriatrics Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology


Welcome to

I read your query and understand your concerns.

  • First of all, I would like to inform you that there is no test to detect if one is a trans woman. It all depends on the attitude, orientation, sexual relationships, sexual response and body language. Considering the sexual response toward men, poor erection in most of the positions except lying prone, development of breast (although it could be normal for any young man) and occurrence of erections only after imagining men says a lot about your gender, attitude and sexual orientation.
  • The most important thing is whether you feel any distress due to these problems. If you are comfortable with being a man and do not have any distress, I feel the possibility of a heterosexual orientation need to be explored and strengthened.
  • In case you feel you are not comfortable with your current attitude, it is time to seek help. Unfortunately, there are no medications to change the attitude and orientation. The only way to change it to the comfort level is through counseling. The pattern of counseling is decided after a thorough evaluation of your orientation and desire as well as your comfort level with different behaviors such as cross dressings, erections, and attractions.
  • At this stage, I request you to seek an in-person consultation with a psychiatrist in your city. In case you are not comfortable visiting a psychiatrist, you can have an online video consultation to discuss the problems in detail and to have a proper diagnosis.

I will be glad to help you further if required.

For more information consult a sexologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Can a gay impregnate his wife?
Kindly describe about the tests to be taken before having unprotected sex with lesbian partner?
I get attracted to handsome men lately. Am I homosexual?
Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

When I shave, people say I look homosexual. Is there any solution for this?

Query: Hi doctor,I am a 20 year old male. People say I look like gay when I shave. Dealing with it is tough. Is there any reason or solution to this?  Read Full »

Also Read

Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»
I was diagnosed with Celiac disease a year back. Can you suggest any medicine?
Having celiac fromnlast 10 year dignosis recently ayear ago since then i am gluten free still cant absorb food feeling w...  Read more»
My head is shivering from 20 days, and it feels like head trauma. What is the cause?
Hello sir, My head is shivering like anything , feeling like trauma is head. And its start anytime in a day and when s...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Sexologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.