Q. Kindly describe about the tests to be taken before having unprotected sex with lesbian partner?

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

I would like to ask some questions that I am sort of afraid to ask my gynecologist because I am not sure if she is tolerant of homosexual people and that is holding me back. I would like to know what kind of health tests should I run to make sure I can safely have unprotected sex with my exclusive lesbian partner? During my last visit at the gynecologist I had cytology and now I am waiting for results. If that comes back clean, does it mean fully that I am free of any sexually transmitted diseases or HPV or do I still have to have some other tests to run? Is it appropriate to ask to have those tests made at a clinic or only if I show any worrying symptoms? I have had only one sexual partner before I engaged with my current girlfriend. We were each other's, first partners. The last question I have is, is it irresponsible to have unprotected lesbian sex in a committed relationship if both people are tested? Are there still any health risks?

#

Homosexuality is a choice of self-identity of sexuality, which does not need to be judged. It is always fine to ask questions. You are conscious about your health and that is commendable.

Firstly, you need to rule out diseases like HIV, hepatitis B and C (HBsAg, anti-HCV), syphilis (VDRL), gonorrhea (smear test), chlamydia (smear test), herpes (IgM and IgG) which are commonly sexually transmitted via the respective blood tests.

Cytology or pap smear is just screening for cervical cancer irrespective of HPV or any other sexually transmitted infection. You can check for HPV-DNA, chlamydia, gonorrhea test from the vaginal aspirate. as well as a throat swab. It is perfectly normal to have any kind of sexual relationship, keeping into account both partners are stable in their relationship and are tested for STD. It prevents any health risk.

|