Q. Will anilingus cause sexually transmitted infection?

This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 19, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 22, 2020

I visited an Asian massage parlor and received anilingus and a whole body tongue massage on an exposed pimple on my back that was slightly bleeding from irritation during the massage. After the massage, I immediately showered with soap. Am I at risk for any STDs or STIs? I do not currently have any symptoms or visual changes but I am still worried. Also, should I be concerned about rabies? She was not symptomatic but she mentioned that she was recently from Shanghai and had a dog. I did not notice any bite marks on her and she appeared in good health but I am still worried. Is rabies a concern at all?

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

Rabies can only be transmitted only if she is infected and her saliva is having rabies viruses. So rabies is not a concern because probably she is not infected as she is not having any symptoms. If she does not develop any symptoms for another ten days then it is highly unlikely, because this is the time period within which she develops symptoms if her saliva is having viruses.

However, the possibility of STI (sexually transmitted infection) is definitely possible and depends whether she is infected or not.

| 

Is it possible for me to get tested for rabies? And what STI's are most likely?

#

Rabies testing will be of no use at this moment. These tests will be positive only when one develops the disease. If you are very much concerned about it, you can get yourself vaccinated, although not recommended as the likelihood of acquiring is very less and if she does not develop any disease within ten days then almost unlikely. Vaccination failure are almost not there.

STI's which can be transmitted are HIV, syphilis, gonorrhea, HSV 1 and 2 and HPV. These are various STIs which can be transmitted only if she has got any of these infections.

| 

Is the HIV RNA test conclusive?

Query: Hi doctor, I had unprotected sex with a woman for two to three minutes around four weeks ago. I took HIV 1 RNA test on 11th day which was negative. Again I took complete STD panel tests on 21st day with HIV-1 RNA and HIV fourth generation tests, all of the results were negative. But, I can notice sm...  Read Full »

What are the preventive measures in case of slippage or breakage of condoms?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 37 year old heterosexual male. I am HIV negative with no known STD. I always have safe sex. I always have very safe sex with girls who are not sex workers. But may have casual sex with others. Generally, I would imagine that they too would be practicing safe sex with their regul...  Read Full »

I was misdiagnosed to have syphilis and had treatment. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old male. Before a month, I visited a hospital in my hometown for pain on the penis. They conducted VDRL and TPHA test and said that the test came back as weak positive. So, it is the first stage of syphilis. They prescribed me an injection and some tablets for five days. A...  Read Full »