Q. I have shortness of breath on exertion with muscle weakness. Why?

Dr. Vivek Chail
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Apr 24, 2019

I have shortness of breath on exertion and episodic mild muscle weakness for about one year. It worsens with fatigue and particularly ptosis. Kindly help.

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiodiagnosis Radiology
#

Welcome to icliniq.com

I saw the chest x-ray posteroanterior and lateral views (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

The findings are,

1. There are mildly prominent lung markings in the bilateral mid and lower zones. The upper zones are clear bilaterally.

2. There is no pleural effusion.

3. The cardiac size is normal.

4. The retrosternal space is normal.

5. The posterior costophrenic recess is free.

The above findings can be due to mildly hyperactive airways. HRCT chest scan may be done if there are abnormalities in lung function tests. Please avoid any pollution area or dust exposure. For muscle weakness and ptosis, please get tested to know if you are having myasthenia gravis, the most common cause for ptosis and muscle weakness.

Are there any tests available to check pelvic muscle weakness?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from pelvic muscle weakness. I want to know is there any blood tests or any other diagnosis.  Read Full >>

Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Pelvic and lower back muscle weakness will give you symptoms of back pain and leg pain. You should do blood tests. Check for vitamin D and B12 levels. These blood tests are useful to check the vitamin levels in the blood which co-relates with muscle weakness of the body...  Read Full

Why am I having right-sided muscle weakness?

Query: Hi doctor,I am 22 years old. I had right-sided muscle weakness. It started with hands and feet pins and needles. Then neck tension and back tension. Had a brain MRI done. I have had a CT scan of brain two years ago which showed an osteoma in sinonasal which I think I can see on the MRI. Currently, I...  Read Full >>

Dr. Chitrangada
Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your MRI shows normal brain parenchyma (attachment remove to protect patient identity). No ischemic areas or focal lesions are seen. The MRI angiogram shows normal vascular anatomy. No focal narrowing or stenosis is seen. However, mild mucosal thickening is seen in bila...  Read Full

Ask a Radiologist Now