Q. I have shortness of breath and anemia since giving birth. Please advise.

Dr. Chitrangada
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 21, 2018 and last reviewed on: Dec 29, 2018

I have:

• Shortness of breath and ongoing anemia since giving birth.
  • Bruising stomach, right arm and behind the chest.
  • Painful legs.

I am attaching files.

#

Shortness of breath can occur secondary to anemia postpartum and are interrelated. However, bruising of arm and stomach may indicate underlying coagulopathy or embolic phenomena secondary to deep vein thrombosis.

On observations in the contrast CT scan attached as above (attachment removed to protect patient identity) -

1. No obvious intraluminal filling defects are seen in the aorta and its branches.
  2. The pulmonary artery and its branches are also well opacified.
  3. These findings rule out embolic phenomena.
  4. Your lungs appear essentially normal.
  5. A minimal collection is seen in the endometrial cavity. Just wanted to confirm if you are still having postpartum bleeding. If yes, that could contribute to anemia.

For more information consult a radiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/radiologist

| 

Please tell me the uses of Misoprostol.

Query: Hi doctor, Please explain me the uses of Misoprostol.  Read Full »

Is it possible to have successful IVF even after having multiple fibroids?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 36 years old, and I have a 2-year old daughter. I have been trying for another baby for more than a year. So I was told to go for IVF. I had an ultrasound recently, and there are multiple fibroids present. I am more worried regarding the submucosal fibroid measuring 1.8 × 1.7 ...  Read Full »

I have anemia with low ferritin level. Can it be cured with diet and supplements?

Query: Hello doctor, My age is 27 years and I am a female. I have anemia with a very low ferritin level 2.1 and HB is 6.5. Can it be cleared by taking diet and iron supplements? Which is a good time to take Zincofer syrup, how much ml? Please advice.  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask a Radiologist Now