Q. I have shortness of breath and anemia since giving birth. Please advise.

Dr. Chitrangada
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 21, 2018 and last reviewed on: Dec 29, 2018

I have:

• Shortness of breath and ongoing anemia since giving birth.
  • Bruising stomach, right arm and behind the chest.
  • Painful legs.

I am attaching files.

#

Shortness of breath can occur secondary to anemia postpartum and are interrelated. However, bruising of arm and stomach may indicate underlying coagulopathy or embolic phenomena secondary to deep vein thrombosis.

On observations in the contrast CT scan attached as above (attachment removed to protect patient identity) -

1. No obvious intraluminal filling defects are seen in the aorta and its branches.
  2. The pulmonary artery and its branches are also well opacified.
  3. These findings rule out embolic phenomena.
  4. Your lungs appear essentially normal.
  5. A minimal collection is seen in the endometrial cavity. Just wanted to confirm if you are still having postpartum bleeding. If yes, that could contribute to anemia.

For more information consult a radiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/radiologist

|