Q. Can a full range of shoulder movements be regained after weeks of shoulder dislocation?

Dr. Atul Prakash

My shoulder got dislocated three weeks ago. I was suggested to use a sling. Also, I have started physiotherapy. However, my physiotherapist keeps warning me to prevent moving my shoulder. Can I regain the full motion of my shoulder? Also, can I lift weights? Is it something I should be concerned about?

Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern and would be happy to help. It is possible to regain a full range of movements after a dislocation. However, abduction and external rotation in the overhead position must be avoided for six weeks to three months. Also, you may not require surgery if your work or sports do not put you at risk of dislocation. I suggest you regain your entire range of shoulder movement before strengthening your muscles.

Kindly revert in case of further questions.

|