Q. Do you notice any abnormalities in my right shoulder MRI?

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: Mar 31, 2021

I have right shoulder and posterior scapula pain. The pain began a few years ago when a huge dog suddenly tried to run while I was holding his leash, resulting in my arm being pulled. A year after that, I fell on rocks and landed with a right outstretched hand. Now, my right shoulder is lower than the left and winged scapula. My x-rays are normal. I have attached my MRI. Do you notice any abnormalities in my right shoulder MRI?

#

I have gone through your query and also seen the MRI images sent by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• You have mentioned that the injury to your shoulder was a few years back. As you have described, there was a sudden pull, and I feel that it has resulted in some soft tissue insult in your joint.
  • This could be a joint capsule, tendon injury or injury to supporting structures like labrum. Commonly, we have to rule out an injury to the rotator cuff, which is a very important dynamic shoulder stabilizer.
  • Also, the MRI images show edema inside the joint. It indicates inflammation and because of which you are having pain.
  • I cannot clearly tell you whether rotator cuff is intact or not because an adequate number of images are not there. So, my advice for you will be the following. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take treatment with consent.
  • Get a few blood tests like CBC (complete blood count), ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) and CRP (C-reactive protein) done to see the elevation of inflammatory markers.
  • Send all MRI images so that I can see the joint in detail and tell you whether there is a soft tissue, which is damaged.
  • Start with physical therapy for increasing flexibility followed by strengthening of shoulder muscles.
  • One thing you mentioned is winged scapula for which I need to see the clinical picture, and nerve conduction studies will be required. Also, shoulder x-ray (anteroposterior and axillary views) is required.
  • It will also be great if you can send me relevant pictures of your affected shoulder from front and back region. Can you also tell me the current range of your shoulder movement?
  • Once I have this information, I can see in detail and let you know what will be the correct line of management.

Revert with the details to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|