Please explain my MRI findings for right shoulder pain.

Q. I get pain in my right shoulder during sports and weight training. Will PT and rehab help?

Answered by
Dr. Vivek Chail
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 07, 2020

Hello doctor,

I am having pain in my right shoulder probably because of my sporting activities or weight training. The doctor ordered an MRI and I got it done. I want to check if there are any findings.



Welcome to

I reviewed your MRI report. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

1. There is a partial thickness tear involving the anterior and mid fibers of the distal supraspinatus tendon over the humerus head and can be seen to be prominent along the bursal surface of the tendon.

2. There is kinking of the middle glenohumeral ligament and injury of the subscapularis muscle tendon.

3. Other than the arthrogram contrast, there is likely joint effusion and fluid in the axillary recess and superior subscapularis recess.

4. I do not find any significant labrum injury.

5. There is no significant bone injury.

Please do let me know your doctor's suggestion after reviewing the images and their findings.

Thank you doctor,

Is this something that is a major issue? And would it heal on its own or requires surgery? Will it get better with PT and rehabilitation?



Welcome back to

In cases of muscle and tendon injury, the focus is on preventing further injury, pain relief, and early rehabilitation and continuing with regular activities. I suppose you are taking precautions for the pain.

Pain is a highly subjective entity and different people sense pain differently, from minimal to unbearable pain. You need all the support to provide the best pain relief. The problem you have is less likely to heal completely without any interventions.

Rehabilitation involves getting back to doing your normal activities. At 34 years, you are very young and should be having a balanced lifestyle. You might get relief by limiting stressful activities of the shoulder and by doing physiotherapy.

Urgent surgery is needed only for complete tears, which you do not have. However, partial tendon injuries might need arthroscopic repair for strengthening the tendon attachments. This is a specialized topic and needs to be discussed with the surgeon.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Ganglion Cyst - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, and Treatment

Any joint or tendon injury increases the risk of developing a ganglion cysts ...   Read full

Gym Motivation: the Right Way to Workout

.. first day of the year, the gyms are always overcrowded. There is no doubt that it is a healthy choice. Taking a small step towards fitness is always better than taking no step. However, how to sustain all year long?   Read full

I have shoulder pain radiating to arms and hands. Kindly advise.

.. read your concern and below is my opinion for your case. It can be nerve compression pain due to a bulging disc in the cervical spine area. I suggest you get your detailed neurological evaluation. You should get investigated with cervical spine digital   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Family Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.