Please explain my MRI findings for right shoulder pain.

Q. I get pain in my right shoulder during sports and weight training. Will PT and rehab help?

Dr. Vivek Chail

I am having pain in my right shoulder probably because of my sporting activities or weight training. The doctor ordered an MRI and I got it done. I want to check if there are any findings.

#

I reviewed your MRI report. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

1. There is a partial thickness tear involving the anterior and mid fibers of the distal supraspinatus tendon over the humerus head and can be seen to be prominent along the bursal surface of the tendon.

2. There is kinking of the middle glenohumeral ligament and injury of the subscapularis muscle tendon.

3. Other than the arthrogram contrast, there is likely joint effusion and fluid in the axillary recess and superior subscapularis recess.

4. I do not find any significant labrum injury.

5. There is no significant bone injury.

Please do let me know your doctor's suggestion after reviewing the images and their findings.

Is this something that is a major issue? And would it heal on its own or requires surgery? Will it get better with PT and rehabilitation?

#

In cases of muscle and tendon injury, the focus is on preventing further injury, pain relief, and early rehabilitation and continuing with regular activities. I suppose you are taking precautions for the pain.

Pain is a highly subjective entity and different people sense pain differently, from minimal to unbearable pain. You need all the support to provide the best pain relief. The problem you have is less likely to heal completely without any interventions.

Rehabilitation involves getting back to doing your normal activities. At 34 years, you are very young and should be having a balanced lifestyle. You might get relief by limiting stressful activities of the shoulder and by doing physiotherapy.

Urgent surgery is needed only for complete tears, which you do not have. However, partial tendon injuries might need arthroscopic repair for strengthening the tendon attachments. This is a specialized topic and needs to be discussed with the surgeon.

|