Q. I am concerned about Sjogren's syndrome due to dry eyes and mouth. Kindly interpret my blood report.

Dr. Nupoor Acharya
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 26, 2021 and last reviewed on: Feb 24, 2021

I had a question about bloodwork that I had done for something called an Early Sjogrens Panel. I had a rheumatological workup due to eye issues I was having. The eye issues turned out to be an eye misalignment that is currently being treated through vision therapy. However, I had reported mild dry mouth and mild dry eyes. My eye doctor confirmed via tests that I do have mild dry eyes with no inflammation, with blepharitis, and more water is necessary. I also have anxiety, depression and have been on and off antidepressants/anti-anxiety medications for over ten years. My psychiatrist said dry eyes and mouth are common with anxiety as well as chronic computer and phone use that my job requires. My rheumatologist told me that my early SS tested positive, this does not mean I have Sjogren's Syndrome, and that the best thing is to monitor and use supportive efforts if things worsen. I just wanted another comment about my bloodwork. I am nervous because I do just have mild dry mouth and eyes, and I know there could be other causes, but I just want to confirm that that bloodwork alone does not mean I actually have or will develop Sjogren's Syndrome.

#

Your psychiatrist has rightly told you that mild dry mouth could be a feature of anxiety. Dry eyes also have numerous causes. Sjogren's syndrome is one of them. The other causes include vitamin deficiency, blepharitis, etc. Other conditions with sicca symptoms are sarcoidosis, amyloidosis, viral hepatitis, HIV. Your blood work up is normal except for the presence of some autoantibodies, which are more experimental and not yet recommended for making a diagnosis of Sjogren's syndrome. The antibodies diagnostic of Sjogren's are anti-SS-A and SS-B, which are both negative in your case. So there is not enough evidence at present to suggest whether you have this syndrome. If you want to further confirm the diagnosis, you may go for a minor salivary gland biopsy. For now, you should take symptomatic treatment.

|