Q. I have a growth in pubic area like extra skin. What is it?

Dr. Vinay Kumar
Published on Jul 12, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jul 16, 2019

I am a 48 year old female. My weight is 58 kg. I have noticed a round flesh color growth that hangs externally on my pubic hair outside my labia majora. It has been there for two years. It does not hurt but it is bothering me because it became a bit bigger. I have attached a photo. I am taking medicine Zoloft and Valium. Please help me.

Dr. Vinay Kumar

Cosmetology Dermatology Microbiology Venereology
#

I have noted the description and observed the attached picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I will attempt to solve your health concerns as best as I can.

I have dealt with a good number of cases having similar presenting features. In all such cases, a close visual examination was generally sufficient to arrive at the proper conclusion about the identity of the problem. The picture you have attached is not that clear.

I will request you to kindly send a better set of pictures limited only to the lesion, as well as describe how the lesion feels to touch whether soft or hard.

Also give me additional details like release of any cheesy material upon pressure from the sides, any oozing of pus, firmness at its base, any satellite lesions, any relationship with similar condition in your partner, and finally if you notice that there is any small depression in the center of roof of lesion.

I am considering the possibilities of a wart, molluscum, benign skin lesions or sebaceous cyst.

Most of the stated problems should be easy to tackle. I will await your response.

Revert back with clear photographs to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Thanks for your response. The texture of the growth is soft. It looks like an extra skin that I can move about. When I squeeze it wrinkles and I can also twist it around. If I continue doing so will it fall off? For instance if I put a string around it, will it snap off? There is no oozing of pus. There is no base; it is like a balloon that has a straw connecting it to that extra flesh skin. There are no satellite lesions and my partner has nothing of this kind. There is no depression in the center of the roof of the lesion. The photo may be misleading as it looks like a bump with fluid but it has no fluid. It is just extra skin hanging. I have first noticed it after I shaved three years ago as I usually shave my pubic hair. And finally there is no cheesy material when pressing it. I hope this will help.

Dr. Vinay Kumar

#

Welcome back to icliniq.com. Thanks for your reply and details. It has been very useful to assess the condition with your inputs.

This very closely matches the description of a skin tag or acrochordon. These lesions are simple outgrowths of skin and are best dealt with by simple office based surgery requiring only local anesthesia.

The base is anesthetized and the lesion is cut off from the base itself leaving a small mark which only rarely bleeds, and that too just ooze, and tends to heal fast. Antibiotics applied locally after the procedure does help.

A painkiller for a day or so should be handy. The procedure does not need any rest except for a few hours and one can get back to work the same day.

It is done best using a radiofrequency machine or a laser. But, it is possible to deal with the lesion even without such modalities.

However, the stated modalities are common place and your GP might consider treating you in her or his minor operation theater with any technique he or she has mastered.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

How can skin tags be removed?

Query: Hello doctor,I am male, 42 years old, height is 160 cm, weight is 90 kg. For the past 20 years, I have skin tags in my neck, underarms, nose and around my eyes. No medications are taken till now. Kindly suggest me any tablet or an ointment to remove my skin tags.  Read Full >>

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Go for laser or RF (radio frequency) removal. No such creams and tablets are available and do not use any home remedy as it is only going to harm you. For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist  Read Full

I have a skin tag near the anus and it is painful to excrete. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have recently got a skin tag near the anus. It is painful to excrete. There is a pain the whole day and there were even blood stains once. I am really scared and embarrassed too. Excretion has become a scary thing for me now. Please tell me how to solve this problem.  Read Full >>

Dr. Sandeep Golla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your description, it could either be an acrochordon (skin tag) or a filiform wart. It can be confirmed only after examining. For skin tags, no creams or tablet will help resolve the issue because a skin tag is an extension of the normal skin. The treatment opt...  Read Full

Why is there a skin tag connecting via side of my vulva skin?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 22 years old and I have two children. No health issues. Around four months ago, I had sharp stabbing pains in my pelvic area, foul odor discharge, irregular bleeding, yellow or brown vaginal discharge. I am in my second year of being on the contraception implant Nexplanon. Due to m...  Read Full >>

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do you have any other medical health issue or have been on medications? It is better to have a complete check and treatment if any health issue you have. Regarding discharge, it should be checked in the laboratory by sending a high vaginal swab to check which organism i...  Read Full