Q. I have a growth in pubic area like extra skin. What is it?

Answered by
Dr. Vinay Kumar
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 12, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2020

Hi doctor,

I am a 48 year old female. My weight is 58 kg. I have noticed a round flesh color growth that hangs externally on my pubic hair outside my labia majora. It has been there for two years. It does not hurt but it is bothering me because it became a bit bigger. I have attached a photo. I am taking medicine Zoloft and Valium. Please help me.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have noted the description and observed the attached picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I will attempt to solve your health concerns as best as I can.

I have dealt with a good number of cases having similar presenting features. In all such cases, a close visual examination was generally sufficient to arrive at the proper conclusion about the identity of the problem. The picture you have attached is not that clear.

I will request you to kindly send a better set of pictures limited only to the lesion, as well as describe how the lesion feels to touch whether soft or hard.

Also give me additional details like release of any cheesy material upon pressure from the sides, any oozing of pus, firmness at its base, any satellite lesions, any relationship with similar condition in your partner, and finally if you notice that there is any small depression in the center of roof of lesion.

I am considering the possibilities of a wart, molluscum, benign skin lesions or sebaceous cyst.

Most of the stated problems should be easy to tackle. I will await your response.

Revert back with clear photographs to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Hi doctor,

Thanks for your response. The texture of the growth is soft. It looks like an extra skin that I can move about. When I squeeze it wrinkles and I can also twist it around. If I continue doing so will it fall off? For instance if I put a string around it, will it snap off? There is no oozing of pus. There is no base; it is like a balloon that has a straw connecting it to that extra flesh skin. There are no satellite lesions and my partner has nothing of this kind. There is no depression in the center of the roof of the lesion. The photo may be misleading as it looks like a bump with fluid but it has no fluid. It is just extra skin hanging. I have first noticed it after I shaved three years ago as I usually shave my pubic hair. And finally there is no cheesy material when pressing it. I hope this will help.



Welcome back to icliniq.com. Thanks for your reply and details. It has been very useful to assess the condition with your inputs.

This very closely matches the description of a skin tag or acrochordon. These lesions are simple outgrowths of skin and are best dealt with by simple office based surgery requiring only local anesthesia.

The base is anesthetized and the lesion is cut off from the base itself leaving a small mark which only rarely bleeds, and that too just ooze, and tends to heal fast. Antibiotics applied locally after the procedure does help.

A painkiller for a day or so should be handy. The procedure does not need any rest except for a few hours and one can get back to work the same day.

It is done best using a radiofrequency machine or a laser. But, it is possible to deal with the lesion even without such modalities.

However, the stated modalities are common place and your GP might consider treating you in her or his minor operation theater with any technique he or she has mastered.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Was this answer helpful?

1 out of 1 likes

Related Questions:
I have this on my penis and inner thigh. What is it?

Hi doctor, I have these on my penis, ears and inner thigh ...   Read full

What is the small fleshy growth in my anus?

For constipation, I suggest you try the following: Consume high-fiber diet for long-term control ... Some people need surgical treatment for bleeding hemorrhoids, but only if dietary me...   Read full

What treatment can be had for the skin tag in my groin area?

.. gone through the attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This is an acrochordon (skin tag) which must be secondarily infected due to constant squeezing. Groin area, armpits, and neck are the common site of skin tags. Was t...   Read full


This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

How can skin tags be removed?

Query: Hello doctor,I am male, 42 years old, height is 160 cm, weight is 90 kg. For the past 20 years, I have skin tags in my neck, underarms, nose and around my eyes. No medications are taken till now. Kindly suggest me any tablet or an ointment to remove my skin tags.  Read Full »

I have a skin tag near the anus and it is painful to excrete. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have recently got a skin tag near the anus. It is painful to excrete. There is a pain the whole day and there were even blood stains once. I am really scared and embarrassed too. Excretion has become a scary thing for me now. Please tell me how to solve this problem.  Read Full »

Why is there a skin tag connecting via side of my vulva skin?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 22 years old and I have two children. No health issues. Around four months ago, I had sharp stabbing pains in my pelvic area, foul odor discharge, irregular bleeding, yellow or brown vaginal discharge. I am in my second year of being on the contraception implant Nexplanon. Due to m...  Read Full »

Also Read

Sinusitis - Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
Sinusitis is the infection of the air cavities within the nasal passages. Normally, the healthy sinuses are filled with ...  Read more»
Asthma and Its Rising Incidence
This article explains about asthma and its causes. It also focuses on the benefits of starting early treatment to lead a...  Read more»
Parkinson's Disease: Historical Aspects and Current Treatment Approaches
This article discusses the historical aspects of Parkinsonism and, the evidence based approaches currently available for...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.