Q. I have skin tag-like bumps on my vagina. What are they?

Published on Dec 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2019

I have noticed that my left inner labia are swollen and a little itchy. I thought that the itch comes and goes and it is definitely not a constant one. I have no unusual discharge and it does not burn or pain when I pee. I noticed that there is a tiny smooth skin tag-like bump on the labia that is swollen. I am aware that skin tags do not occur in moist areas, but it is most definitely does not resemble a wart. I have a gynecologist appointment in a day. But, I am a little concerned at the minute.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• The presence of local swelling and itchiness over one side labia minora alone, indicates an element of inflammation.
  • The presence of skin tag bump, which is swollen, is unlikely to be a vaginal wart, as warts are not acutely occurring lesions.
  • This could be a folliculitis lesion, but the conclusive opinion can only be offered after viewing the lesion. It is hence requested that you may attach a picture of lesion for a better opinion and diagnosis.

Revert back with the photos to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

I have attached two pictures of the lesion.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• This is vestibulitis, which is often caused by local infection and blockage of the vestibular glandular opening leading to swelling and redness.
  • The bump is the swollen vestibular gland and this shall require a course of antibiotics for a week to allow its subsidence.
  • Avoid any local friction by wearing loose undergarments and try avoiding scratching locally. Keep the local area as dry as possible.
  • A visit to a gynecologist shall be needed for local examination and further prescription of medicines. Take care.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Does HPV vaccine cure genital warts?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 50-year-old male. I had genital warts five years ago, had them removed via cauterization and received three injections of HPV vaccine Gardasil. The doctor said the vaccine would cure the virus, but after a year, warts reappeared and until now they are still in my scrotum, and th...  Read Full >>

Dr. Satyajit Jalinder Pawar
Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. HPV vaccine is not a cure. It is for the prevention of HPV. It prevents the virus from entering in your body. But, it cannot act on cells which are already infected with the virus. About sex, there is a chance that with contact, virus can spread to your partner if n...  Read Full

Will antibiotics affect the sputum report?

Query: Hi doctor, I have cough for about a week. It is a mild one with a bit sore throat. So, I did my sputum test in a laboratory and the following are the results I received today. Acid fast bacilli smear - acid fast bacilli not detected. In sputum culture and sensitivity, culture - negative, organism - ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. Your sputum stain says that you have lower respiratory tract infection. However, culture is negative which can occur due to antibiotic consumption prior to sputum collection. Treatment would be based on your symptoms. Please mention what symptoms...  Read Full

Why is there a skin tag connecting via side of my vulva skin?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 22 years old and I have two children. No health issues. Around four months ago, I had sharp stabbing pains in my pelvic area, foul odor discharge, irregular bleeding, yellow or brown vaginal discharge. I am in my second year of being on the contraception implant Nexplanon. Due to m...  Read Full >>

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do you have any other medical health issue or have been on medications? It is better to have a complete check and treatment if any health issue you have. Regarding discharge, it should be checked in the laboratory by sending a high vaginal swab to check which organism i...  Read Full