Q. I have skin tag-like bumps on my vagina. What are they?

This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2019

I have noticed that my left inner labia are swollen and a little itchy. I thought that the itch comes and goes and it is definitely not a constant one. I have no unusual discharge and it does not burn or pain when I pee. I noticed that there is a tiny smooth skin tag-like bump on the labia that is swollen. I am aware that skin tags do not occur in moist areas, but it is most definitely does not resemble a wart. I have a gynecologist appointment in a day. But, I am a little concerned at the minute.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• The presence of local swelling and itchiness over one side labia minora alone, indicates an element of inflammation.
  • The presence of skin tag bump, which is swollen, is unlikely to be a vaginal wart, as warts are not acutely occurring lesions.
  • This could be a folliculitis lesion, but the conclusive opinion can only be offered after viewing the lesion. It is hence requested that you may attach a picture of lesion for a better opinion and diagnosis.

Revert back with the photos to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

I have attached two pictures of the lesion.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• This is vestibulitis, which is often caused by local infection and blockage of the vestibular glandular opening leading to swelling and redness.
  • The bump is the swollen vestibular gland and this shall require a course of antibiotics for a week to allow its subsidence.
  • Avoid any local friction by wearing loose undergarments and try avoiding scratching locally. Keep the local area as dry as possible.
  • A visit to a gynecologist shall be needed for local examination and further prescription of medicines. Take care.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Does HPV vaccine cure genital warts?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 50-year-old male. I had genital warts five years ago, had them removed via cauterization and received three injections of HPV vaccine Gardasil. The doctor said the vaccine would cure the virus, but after a year, warts reappeared and until now they are still in my scrotum, and th...  Read Full »

Will antibiotics affect the sputum report?

Query: Hi doctor, I have cough for about a week. It is a mild one with a bit sore throat. So, I did my sputum test in a laboratory and the following are the results I received today. Acid fast bacilli smear - acid fast bacilli not detected. In sputum culture and sensitivity, culture - negative, organism - ...  Read Full »

Why is there a skin tag connecting via side of my vulva skin?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 22 years old and I have two children. No health issues. Around four months ago, I had sharp stabbing pains in my pelvic area, foul odor discharge, irregular bleeding, yellow or brown vaginal discharge. I am in my second year of being on the contraception implant Nexplanon. Due to m...  Read Full »