Q. I want to buy some medial device to prevent snoring during sleep. Please help.

Dr. Bharat Udey
Published on Jul 01, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 11, 2019

I want to buy some equipment or medial device to prevent snoring during sleep. It should be safe and be able to buy online, preferably FDA approved.

Dr. Bharat Udey

Geriatrics Psychiatry Sexology Sleep Medicine
#

Snoring while sleeping is usually associated with sleep apnea syndrome. Sleep apnea is a sleep disorder in which pauses occur in breathing during sleep. Symptoms usually occur due to obstruction of the airway.For the treatment of snoring, we have to treat the sleep apnea first.

1. Non-pharmacological treatment includes lifestyle modifications like weight reduction, avoidance of smoking, avoidance of sleeping pills, reduction of alcohol consumption.
  2. Continuous positive airway pressure is another modality for treatment. Here, compressed air is made to enter the lung cavity by applying a mask covering the nose and mouth. This technique prevents airway collapse while sleeping.
  3. Devices like Mandibular Advancement Device (MAD) can also be used. It is similar to gum shield, worn over teeth while sleep. This will hold the jaw and tongue forward, preventing it to collapse while sleeping. This will alleviate the obstructive symptoms, also prevent narrowing of airways, hence alleviating snoring.

Few such devices which I would suggest are:

1. Myerson EMA appliance.
  2. ZQuiet.
  3. Vital Sleep.
  4. Snore guard.
  5. Pure Sleep.
  6. SnoreRx.

Before purchasing them, do consult a sleep medicine specialist in person for clinical examination.

I have no access to sleep medicine specialist. And if you were me, which one would you buy for yourself. Which is the safest one? I do not smoke or drink. 

Dr. Bharat Udey

#

Welcome back to icliniq.com

As per your requirement, I would suggest you the one with maximum benefits and approved by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine, a device named SnoreRx. It has many benefits such as easy to use, comfortable, and is adjustable. The only difficulty is in case of patients having dentures. Most of the users have not reported any adverse effect with this device.

Plastic Toxicity

Article Overview: Most of the plastic produced today are for food packaging, plastic bags, and containers, which are single-use and are discarded immediately. This single-use plastic is the major contributor to plastic pollution. Read Article

Dr. K Sneha
General Medicine Physician

Plastic Toxicity We live in an age where plastic is all around us. Everything from food and beverage containers, cosmetics containers, pens, interiors of cars, toys, bags, shoes, adhesives, lubricants, medical devices, etc., all contain plastic in some form. As they are not expensive and durable, p...  Read Article

Why do I get agitated, mentally hyperactive, cannot sleep and get suicidal thoughts?

Query: Hello doctor, It was five years back when I encountered sleep problem for the first time, and at that point, I was doing a night shift. I consulted a doctor, and he suggested me the medicine Clonazepam 0.5 mg. I had continued Clonazepam 0.5 mg for 1 year. After more than a year, I got to know from a...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below. Clonazepam is a benzodiazepine group of medicine and prescribed for psychiatric problems including seizure and panic disorder. Having suicidal thoughts is a known side effect of Clonazepam. Yo...  Read Full

Ask a Sleep Medicine Physician Now