Q. How to know if my throat infection is viral or bacterial?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal
Published on Jul 26, 2018

I have a bad throat infection and fever. At present, I have a fever of 101 F. I took Meftal forte 45 minutes back, but the fever has still not come down. Can I take Paracetamol? My doctor gave me Augmentin and Allegra-D.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• If your doctor has examined you and started you on antibiotics, that is, Augmentin (Clavulanic acid and Amoxicillin), you, please complete that course.
  • Along with it, I suggest taking Paracetamol 500, three times daily. Continue taking Allegra (Fexofenadine).

For further queries consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

Thank you for replying. Can these medicines affect my liver, as I have fatty liver? I am scared about that, so I avoid taking medicines. What food should I avoid?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• Was your doctor an ENT specialist? If so, continue the medicines as he has told you. That is the antibiotic Augmentin with Paracetamol. Paracetamol can be taken twice daily. Once antibiotic is started, the infection will subside, and you will not require Paracetamol. You may take Paracetamol 500 mg, twice daily. If you have already taken Meftal tablet (Paracetamol and Mefenamic acid), wait for two hours before taking Paracetamol.
  • If your doctor is not an ENT doctor, then please upload a picture of your throat. You may click a photo of the throat with an open mouth, focussing on the posterior pharyngeal wall and tonsils without flash, standing in front of a mirror. That will give us an idea about the infection and condition of the throat. Additionally, some anti-inflammatory medicines can hasten recovery.
  • In your next query, do attach the blood reports, which show fatty liver. It will help us in finalizing the course of treatment. Do warm saline gargles and avoid spicy, oily, and cold foods till you get completely better. Avoid smoking and drinking as well.

Happy to help you.

Revert with more information to an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

Thank you for replying. My fever has gone down by a degree. Do I need to take antibiotics if it is a viral infection? How to know if it is a bacterial or viral infection? I have attached a picture of my throat.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

I looked into the pictures you have sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You have taken the trouble and sent those, I appreciate it.

Though I cannot have a complete look of the oropharyngeal area despite you depressing the tongue, with what I can see, I feel it is not a bacterial infection. A bacterial infection is accompanied by thick yellow discharge, severe pain, severe inflammation, and redness of the pharyngeal area. Sometimes, the throat region shows plenty of granular congested spots.

• A viral infection, on the other hand, produces less viscous mucous and is self-limiting. Viral infections do not require antibiotics. However, some of them require antiviral medicines.
  • In your case, I can see big tonsils. Tonsillar enlargement, throat pain, and fever point to acute tonsillitis. If such infections and pains bother you many times a year, we can safely remove the tonsils, and this will not cause any side effect. Tonsils have a protective role only in childhood. Tonsils can be a cause for an ear infection, snoring, mouth breathing, dry mouth, bad smell from mouth, and chest infections.
  • Right now, in addition to the Augmentin antibiotic, I suggest you take Chymoral forte. This is an anti-inflammatory medicine, which reduces the edema and swelling in the region helping in faster healing. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicine after their consent.
  • Gargling with diluted Betadine mouthwash will be helpful after each meal to remove any offending agent or pus from the pharyngeal area. Meanwhile, you are advised to rest at home and avoid pollution and the sun.

If you are not better with these medicines in two days, I would suggest you get the following tests done:

1. Throat swab for culture and sensitivity.
  2. Complete blood count inclusive of ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), TLC (total leucocyte count), and DLC (differential leucocyte count).
  3. Serum IgE (Immunoglobulin E).
  4. CRP (C-reactive protein).
LFT (liver function test) & KFT (kidney function test).

Do revert if you have any more questions. I will be happy to help you.

So, should I keep taking Augmentin? Why are LFT and KFT needed?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• Augmentin is needed because I cannot confirm whether the infection is bacterial or viral. In our country, we anticipate bacterial infections because of the germs and pathogens prevalent. If the offending agent is bacterial, indeed this will help you. If it is viral, then this is not going to do any harm but will prevent the probability of an added bacterial infection.
  • The liver function tests and kidney function tests will tell us if there is any issue concerning the liver, as you had mentioned fatty liver. The medicines we take are excreted out of the body through the liver or kidney. If there is any decrease in their functioning, we should detect it early and give appropriate medicines. The medicines we give should not worsen the liver or kidney damage.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

How do I confirm that I have got a viral or bacterial infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an IV treatment for fever.  I took four doses of Monocef 1 gm. My fever is gone, and I am feeling better. I still have a sore throat, and there is a lot of mucus generated. The mucus is transparent. How do I confirm that I have got a viral or bacterial infection? Since my fe...  Read Full >>

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The only way to differentiate between viral and bacterial infection is to take a sample of the mucus generated and to culture it in order to identify the causative organism. Your doctor must have anticipated that your infection as bacterial as you responded well to antibi...  Read Full

Please suggest ayurvedic medication for infection resistant to antibiotics.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 26 year old male. I was addicted to cold drinks which had been getting me sick (catching a cold) over the past nine years. Doctors treated me with antibiotics such as Amoxicillin, Cloxacillin, Moxifloxacin, Cefpodoxime, Azithromycin, andSporidex which worked very well many ti...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ajith Kumar K N

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You can try the following ayurvedic medicines: OCEM-5 drops (Richfield international) - two drops in a glass of lukewarm water twice a day. Indukantham kashayam - 15 mL+50 mL boiled and cooled water twice a day half hour before food. Haridra Khanda churna - one tea...  Read Full

I got my tonsils removed last year. Now, I have redness on one side. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I had my tonsils removed last year. Now, on one side, I have this red area. It can get inflamed sometimes and every now and then, I get a cyst or ulcer in that area. Why is this area red and not on the other side? Is it due to a lot of blood vessels in one area that used to supply the...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have viewed the images attached by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The area is congested due to the blood vessels. The opposite area is also congested although not as much as the left. It is called flushing of the anterior pillars. This is chara...  Read Full